Outlook Express deleting emails

grandmat 22:12 07 Oct 10

This is a problem my son has asked me to find out about - so I wont necessarily respond quickly - he lives in another county and is even more technically illiterate than I am.

He is unsing Outlook Express (Windows XP operating system.

He says when he logs off and then logs on again emails are being deleted.

NB I have checked his webmail and there is nothing stored there either.

mgmcc 07:55 08 Oct 10

Normal behaviour with Outlook Express is to connect to the mail server, check for new messages, download them and then delete them from the server. They will therefore no longer be available using webmail, but should remain in the Outlook Express "Inbox". Is this what is happening?

It is possible to configure Outlook Express to leave messages on the server, so that they can be retrieved again with a different computer or accesses by webmail.

grandmat 08:27 08 Oct 10

Hello
Seems things not being left on the server. Could you tell me how to do this please.

I dont know why some new emails are being deleted from the inbox / sent of outlook express.

Have told him to empty his inbox (in case he has too many in) to see if this helps

onthelimit 09:33 08 Oct 10

On the Outlook Express Tools menu, click Accounts.

Click the Mail tab, and then double-click your e-mail account.

Click the Advanced tab.

Check the box labeled "Leave a copy of messages on server." Doing this activates two clean-up options:

• If desired, check the box to "Remove from server after 5 days." You may change this to any number between 1 and 100.

• If desired, check the box to "Remove from server when deleted from ‘Deleted Items.'"

Be careful using this option! Most ISPs limit the size of your POP3 mailbox. Saving messages on the server can cause your mailbox to become full very quickly, and so you might not receive important messages until you delete the server copies.

grandmat 09:47 08 Oct 10

Many thanks for this, will forward the instructions to him and see how it goes.

lotvic 13:02 08 Oct 10

Outlook Express > View > Current View and click on 'View All Messages'

wee eddie 15:26 08 Oct 10

They may be being downloaded onto another PC

grandmat 16:35 08 Oct 10

No there is no other pc being used.
My grandson probably uses hotmail/facebook on this pc though

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…