Outlook Express-Can't receive emails

johnandjen 11:13 21 Aug 07

Hi
My emails are through pop.freeserve but for the last five days I have been getting various error messages as follows:-
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'pop.freeserve.co.uk', Server: 'pop.freeserve.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Invalid login/password pair', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

The host 'pop.freeserve.co.uk' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'Mail', Server: 'pop.freeserve.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

I have tried everything from reinstalling to restore points. I've followed about every thread there is on OE6 problems to no avail. My internet connection is TalkTalk with my emails coming from pop.freeserve.
I've ran all the spam/virus software you care to name but still getting error message.
I see others have had problems with Orange and someone said that Orange had deleted .freeserve.co.uk accounts. Surely not.
Can anyone offer a crumb of comfort as I'm at my wits end. My own view is that it is not an OE problem but an Orange/Freeserve one.
Look forward to hearing from anyone.
Many Thanks,
John.

johnnyrocker 11:29 21 Aug 07

if orange and freeserve are different isp's it is possible that the newer isp will block other isp mails. i reckon you need to set up via talk talk.

johnny.

johnandjen 11:47 21 Aug 07
  Stuartli 11:57 21 Aug 07

Highlight each Account (from Tools>Accounts in OE)>Properties>Connection tab>Ensure that each non-TT Account is collected using TT as the ISP (or LAN) as appropriate.

If you Reply to any non-TT e-mails, first ensure that you use the From: drop down menu to switch it to your TT e-mail address.

All your e-mails are Sent/Received using TalkTalk's servers.

johnandjen 12:10 21 Aug 07

I changed the connection to Always connect using TalkTalk broadband, but still get the same error messages. I do not have a TalkTalk email address at the moment. I thought TalkTalk retrieve emails from my pop.freeserve setting.My server settings on my mail account for my freeserve email is pop.freeserve with my usual account name and password which now does not seem to work.

eedcam 12:34 21 Aug 07

Just a chance are you checking the address bar in your emails before you send sometimes if you have changed providers the old one pops up easy to miss

johnandjen 12:46 21 Aug 07

eedcam - sorry, not sure what you mean.

Stuartli 13:00 21 Aug 07

If you don't create an e-mail address with TT then I don't think you will be able to use it to collect other ISPs' e-mails.

After you set up a TT e-mail address you have to send an e-mail to the account from a completely different e-mail address to Enable it. See:

click here

You will then be able to use this TT e-mail address and your chosen password to enter the My Account section of the website (to check on your billing details etc).

johnandjen 13:09 21 Aug 07

Stuartli - Thanks. I'll get in touch with TT and set up an email address with them, then take it from there.

johnandjen 14:55 21 Aug 07

HI Stuartli - Set up TT email account and sent myself an email from my hotmail account which got through. That seems to work ok, as does sending out mail, but how do I retrieve all my pop.freeserve emails for the last five days. I've reset all the mail settings and still get the original error messages. Can you suggest anything further? Thanks.

Stuartli 15:16 21 Aug 07

Never had anything to do with Freeserve, but providing the POP and SMTP configuration is correct can't see why it shouldn't work.

Check the settings again at:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…