Outlook Express: Can't move or delete files

ex4thhussar 09:49 08 Jun 06

Hi anybody

A problem recently incurred is that I am unable to move files from my "SENT" folder to another folder and also cannot DELETE the same files.

Any help would be much appreciated

Ron

Gongoozler 09:57 08 Jun 06

Hi ex4thhussar. This is most likely to be caused by corrupted email files. Search for files named *.dbx. You can find where they are kept by opening Outlook Express and clicking on Tools - Options - Maintenance - Store Folder. When you find the dbx files - there should be one for each email folder plus one called folders.dbx, move them all to another location, I suggest that you create a folder for the purpose and call it "old emails". Now restart Outlook Express and it will generate new email folders. You may be able to view your old emails with dbxtract click here

ex4thhussar 10:35 08 Jun 06

Hi Gongoozler
A thousand thanks for your very prompt reply to my problem. I faithfully carried out your most precise instructions and the mail is now all in a new folder named "old e-mails".
Unfortunately they still resist any attempts to move or delete them so it's pretty certain that I have missed some vital instruction.
If you can still bear with me (my wife tells me I was 82 at the last count) I would again appreciate any help.
Many thanks
Ron

Gongoozler 10:45 08 Jun 06

Hi ex4thhussar. The emails you have moved won't have the ability to be moved between folders, and you will only be able to delete all the folder (e.g the whole of Inbox.dbx). The problem is that all the Inbox emails will be compressed into Inbox.dbx, etc. Folders.dbx contains the instruction for Outlook Express to locate and decompress the emails. The reason I recommended Dbxtract is that it may enable you to read the saved emails. If my guess is right, however, you should now have full control over any new emails. If I'm wrong you can still move the contents of the old e-mails folder back to where they came from, overwriting the newly created files.

ex4thhussar 15:46 08 Jun 06

Hi Gongoozler
Success at last
Thanks for your generous help
Ron

Gongoozler 17:05 08 Jun 06

Hi ex4thhussar. I'm pleased to see that you've resolved your problem. Now you have your emails saved as dbx files, you can use Dbxtract to convert them to individual eml files which are readable in Outlook Express, and you can save, delete or reposition them before archiving them to a cd.

Don't forget to put a tick in the "Resolved" box at the bottom of the page for this thread so other forum members with a similar problem can see that it has the solution.

By the way at 82 you make me feel I'm quite a younster at only 64.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…