Outlook Express backup query re .dbx

Jacqual 18:58 15 Jan 10

I thought it would be a good idea to back up all my emails. So I carefully followed the online instructions and soon had a new backup folder with all the files in .dbx format.So far so good. When I went to open one it said "AutoCADLT database extension .dbx" and then a warning "these files are used by the operating system and by various programmes. Editing them could damage your system". This made me rather nervous. Should I be? I have copied the backup file onto an external hard drive, and will then be copying it onto my new laptop. Presumably I will be able to open it there? All I want is a readily accessible list of old/recent emails safely archived.I did this a year or so ago - not sure how- but I have a backup folder full of ancient emails which are in "Outlook Express Mail Message" format which is just what I need. Wish I could remember how I got that!

GaT7 19:14 15 Jan 10

You cannot usually open individual .dbx files with OE without first importing them into OE.

File > Import > Messages... & follow the wizard. In your case you'd choose the option to 'Import mail from an OE6 store directory'.

Also, it's better to backup the entire OE folder - usually located at C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{A723FD9F-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-A18F52298520}\Microsoft\Outlook Express (in XP) - so that the original folder structure is maintained & there's less chance of losing some messages. G

P.S. At times, I still lose a few emails after importing them the right way. They are visibly present in the OE folder, but OE cannot see them. Then I use a tool called Macallan Outlook Express Extraction click here to extract & drag them into OE. I don't know if this is an inherent OE fault (that occurs for most), or my install in particular, as I use slipstreaming tools (like click here) reinstall my OS

BurrWalnut 19:16 15 Jan 10

1. Create folders on your desktop or an external device and name them OEInbox and OESent and any others you have. Open Outlook Express, go to the Inbox, click on a message line then press Ctrl+A to Select All and drag the highlighted items into OEInbox. Repeat it for Sent Items and any other mail boxes that you have.

2. These folders can then be dragged to Windows Mail or Windows Live Mail on your new laptop, as follows:
WM or WLM
Display the Inbox and open the external OEInbox folder, Select All of the items from the OEInbox folder and drag them to the WM/WLM Inbox. Repeat this for any other mail boxes.

mgmcc 19:20 15 Jan 10

If you drag the email messages from the message list in Outlook Express to a folder outwith the program, the messages should be saved as individual .EML files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant