Outlook express backup

Muergo 11:09 10 Oct 09

On page 107 of this months PCA (December) it gives a method for retrieving lost e-mails.
It doesn't seem to work for me in XP,
When I cloned my C drive to a new hard drive a few incoming e-mails were lost, how do I retrieve them either from the OE backup or my incremental Acronis backup, what is the file likely to be labelled?

How can I view what is on an Acronis backup file before or without backing it up from the external drive.

GaT7 15:57 10 Oct 09

It's possible to retrieve them if they are still in your old Inbox (or other folder you know they are present).

First you need to download & install the free Macallan's Outlook Express Extraction (MOEE).

Next open MOEE & from your OE backup, drag & drop your Inbox.dbx file (or other .dbx folder you know they are present). Right-click in the MOEE program & select 'Extract All Messages'.

Open OE (the program in your present PC) & navigate to the folder where you extracted the MOEE messages to. Then drag & drop them into your present Inbox folder in the opened OE. G

GaT7 16:03 10 Oct 09

The MOEE download link will help I think click here. G

Muergo 11:22 11 Oct 09

I have forgotten how to get this type of zip to run.

I have downloaded the MMOE and saved the file, now it appears in recent documents,(3times) but each time I try to access it I get a screen asking if I want to save it (again).
How do I get it to perform?

Stuartli 11:40 11 Oct 09

Have you tried a search for .dbx files from Start>Search>Files and Folders?

I still have OEViewer on my system, which found a number of lost OE files a year or two back, allowing me to back them up:

click here

Also see:

click here

Muergo 12:53 11 Oct 09

I am in a confused state, each time I try to run or activate the OEextraction I get another screen asking me to save the file as it did for the other application, what am I doing wrong or not doing to get the program useable, I am sure it's something simple but I have a mental block .

Muergo 12:53 11 Oct 09

I am in a confused state, each time I try to run or activate the OEextraction I get another screen asking me to save the file as it did for the other application, what am I doing wrong or not doing to get the program useable, I am sure it's something simple but I have a mental block .

DieSse 13:03 11 Oct 09

If your Acronis backup is a Clone, you simply look at it - it's on another drive, and you should have access to the files and folders as normal (ish).

If your Acronis backup is an Image - you use the facility to Mount the image. When mounted the image appears as a virtual drive in the same form as if it was a real drive (ie all laid out in files and folders). You can then look at whatever you want inside the image, and copy what you need across to the real drive.

I actually did this with an image about a year ago when I accidentally deleted a folder in Thunderbird.

GaT7 20:50 11 Oct 09

Best to stick to one method to avoid confusion.

If you're going to use MOEE, here's a step-by-step guide:

1. Extract contents of the downloaded MOEE folder

2. Click on SETUP to install the MOEE program

3. Open the installed MOEE. Click on File > Preferences:
- For 'Working Disk Drive' enter C:
- For 'Working Directory' enter C:\Extracted Messages
- Click OK

4. Navigate to your OE backup folder, then drag the Inbox.dbx file into the opened MOEE program. You'll get a list of messages

5. Right-click in the MOEE program & select 'Extract All Messages'

6. Navigate to the C:\Extracted Messages folder. The files should have been extracted there.

7. Open OE (the installed program in your new hard disk) & create a new subfolder (under Local Folders) called 'Recovery' (or any other name to suit)

8. Drag the recovered files situated in the C:\Extracted Messages folder into the newly created OE Recovery folder. The extracted files will now show up in the Recovery folder in OE. You can view them as normal & drag them into your Inbox or other folder for further sorting if necessary.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos