Outlook Express - backing up e-mails.

Griffon 07:47 06 Oct 04

In Outlook Express is it possible to create a remote folder for e-mails, on a back-up hard drive for example? I know of several ways to back up e-mails but it would be useful to simply create a remote folder that Outlook Express can access in the same way it does its local folders. I have WindowsXP.

Andsome 08:21 06 Oct 04

How about right click/save as, then select a previously created folder on your back up hard drive. I have just tested this out and it worked OK.

Luthien 08:49 06 Oct 04

If you log on to Microsoft site there is a download available that allows you to backup your e-mail folder to the disk/folder of your choice. I've been using it successfully for more than a year now on Microsoft Outlook, I expect it would work with Express.

OwenLotts 08:55 06 Oct 04

Outlook Backup does NOT work with Outlook Express.

Find where you mail is stored by opening OE, Tools Menu, Options, Maintainance, Store Folder Button. This will tell you where your message are stored. You can then back this folder up every week or so.

Griffon 09:59 06 Oct 04

Thanks. I guess Outlook Express is simply a cheap imitation of Outlook. I know with Outlook you can have any number of personal folders wherever you like on different drives, servers whatever. Sorry, Andsome - I don't understand what your're saving in your message. You can save any number of e-mails wherever you want by dragging them from OE to another folder showing in Explorer, for example, but you can't do this with OE folders. And even if you could OE can't be set up to "see" this remote folder as one of its folders - or that seems to be the concensus anyway. Cheers, G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…