outlook express attachment problem

mogwai 14:06 29 Oct 03

Hi,
I emailed a document from my work pc to my home pc, (it was an excel document), and now 98% of my other emails open their attachments with excel aswell, whereas before they would open with a different program (word, powerpoint etc.)How can I 'reset' outlook to open attachments with the program that it is meant to.

mogwai 16:09 29 Oct 03

bump

mogwai 18:13 29 Oct 03

refresh

Jester2K II 18:14 29 Oct 03

Its your PC not Outlook that needs it associates resetting.

What version of Windows??

mogwai 18:40 29 Oct 03

I have got Windows ME

Jester2K II 19:13 29 Oct 03

Do as system restore to before you opned the work file. Something has associated all your files with Excel for some reason.

mogwai 19:59 29 Oct 03

OK I just restored to a date before I received the file, but it hasnt worked :-( Any more thoughts/ideas on this?

A_World_Maker 20:32 29 Oct 03

if you right hand click on the file, do you get 'open with'?, you should see this function if you hold the shift key when you right hand click. Assuming you can see 'open with' click and select Excel and 'check' the box 'always open....'

Jester2K II 21:00 29 Oct 03

The problem isn't opening Excel files NOT opening with Excel - its Words files now open with Excel, Powerpoint files open with Excel....

Djohn 21:08 29 Oct 03

If you do as A_World_Maker suggest, right click on one of your "Word" files and choose, "open with", select "Word" then "place a tick in the box "Open all similar files with this program" and all word files will revert back to opening with word. [I think] j.

mogwai 21:11 29 Oct 03

Yeh thats right, this only happens with outlook express though, Ive tried to right click on the attachment but it doesnt give the option 'open with', so I cant change what the attachment opens with, I know the attachments used to open with other programs as some I received before this problem arose and they opened fine before, its ever since I opened the excel file and dragged it to my desktop as a shortcut!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…