Outlook Express address/message import

bamfiesler 01:59 28 Apr 04

re-formatted and re-installed XP after a nightmare scenario with an IE hijack trojan. I managed to get 'my documents' saved and copied to the fresh install, but I can't seem to get Outlook Express to import my addresses and messages. Any ideas?

Thanx, in advance, to all who respond. :-}

hugh-265156 02:14 28 Apr 04

if you saved your address book to a floppy or cdr etc then just open outlook express and click:

the "addresses" tab then click "file/import/address book.wab" and point it to your back up cdr or floppy.

for individual e-mails you should have saved them all as ".dbx" files i believe.im not sure how to import them sorry,never done it.

bamfiesler 03:00 28 Apr 04

still can't do it, nor can I open the .dbx file an import to OE. This computer stuff is making me ill!

I posted similar question, the replies were quite helpful.

Best of British.

click here

Have trawled over this for days now have to ask for wise council. Thanks in anticipation!

Swapping PCs
Have managed to get all correct passwords for accounts and prior settings from OutExp on RIP PC (ME, good riddance)
Installed new (AVG) anti-v software on my new baby,XP, Outlook (NOT Express)
---------------
Here's what happens on launching OutL:
Tools/EAccounts/View or Change
gives Eaccounts.
My default will be my NTL account (as previously) and
all correct details have been entered directly copied from old PC (checked several times!!).

When TEST ACCOUNT SETTINGS button is pressed all items pass (with a tick) except LOG ONTO INCOMING MAIL SERVER.

I have this as "pop.ntlworld.com"
Now - I know what you're thinking.. doesn't look right does it? - but have cross checked this from the original NTL install pack
[see note 1 below]
--------------------
still with me? ok. Thanks.
--------------------
I have tried faffing with this slightly.. changing 'POP.' to 'POP3.' etc. but just makes things worse, so I am assuming this is correct (unless advised otherwise).
So here are my conclusions, thus far:

a) May it be something to do with AVG?
-------------------------------------
On previous PC, Norton had altered the INCOMING MAIL to "pop3.norton.antivirus" and I did install AVG first on this PC before activation of Outlook (seemed the safest thing).

Would you suggest I re-install AVG?

Incidentally - AVG tells me "email scanner is not fully functional" - but I cannot get to the reason why manually. [any advice here gratefully received]

[note1]
Possible POP setting is actually typed wrong..
because NORTON had over-written on my old PC, couldn't be 101% sure the NTL pack is correct.

Is there somewhere within Norton (old PC) I can check it?

------------------------------
War & Peace over thanks guys for sticking with me!! Look forward to your wisdom (I already know Kung-Fu ;0))

Sorry - for above - was intended for HELPROOM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…