Outlook Express

HV 14:16 19 Jul 03

I have an email plus account with lycos who I normally access through freeserve but would like to make use of Outlook Express which is installed on my pc.
However, having configured it as per the lycoss instructions, although it receives emails, when I try to send an email it constantly fails and comes up with an error message telling me to check the configuration which I have repeatedly done but can find no error.
Can any one help please

Regards

John

hugh-265156 14:27 19 Jul 03

is outgoing mail set as smtp?

philwane 14:33 19 Jul 03

Hi HV
check your outgoing mail server is smtp. I used to put stmp. an easy mistake but it stops you from sending out mail

HV 14:46 19 Jul 03

Thanks for response but have already checked and confirm it is smtp...The error message I get is as follows:-
" THE HOST POP3 COULD NOT BE FOUND.PLEASE VERIFY THAT YOU HAVE ENTERED THE SERVER NAME CORRECTLY.ACCOUNT POP3SERVER POP3PROTOCOL POP3 PORT 110 SECURE(SSL)NO.SOCKET ERROR 11001 ERROR NO.800CCC00

hugh-265156 14:53 19 Jul 03

no socket errors usually mean the server is down or your settings are incorrect.

beeuuem 15:18 19 Jul 03

It might be worth checking that the authentication is turned on.
To turn the SMTP authentication setting on, follow these steps:

From the Tools menu, choose "Accounts."
Select the "Mail" tab.
Select the account labeled "pop.mail.lycos.com."
Select the "Servers" tab.
Check the box next to "My Server Requires Authentication."
Click "OK."

beeuuem 15:40 19 Jul 03

Do you have what Lycos call a premium account?

"Only users who have paid for a premium Mail subscription may send messages from the SMTP server. You can sign up for premium services or upgrade an existing account from within your account or from the mail homepage."

Or it could be Freeserve, who don't seem keen on leting you use their server to send mail to other servers. Sometimes they'll let me send mail using my ntl and Freeuk accounts and sometimes the mail is rejected.
Lycos say:-
"If your email client is listed above and you have followed the configuration steps but problems still persist, it could be that your ISP may not allow its users to send messages using other companies' SMTP servers. If you feel you fall into this category, we recommend you change the SMTP port from 25 to 525. If this doesn't help, you may want to contact your ISP. Then contact customer support for your email account and supply the information provided by your ISP. Since your ISP is most likely an independent party we cannot guarantee that SMTP will work for your situation because we do have control over the access privileges your ISP has put in place."

Hope all this makes some sense.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…