Outlook Express 6.0 .dbx file recovery

Shellshock66 10:09 13 Sep 09

Hi There The other day my PC crashed whilst I was using OE6 when it rebooted I went back in to OE6 and found that all my folders under the inbox had gone as well as all the emails in them. Also the emails in the main inbox were also missing.
I did some research on the net and using the advice from Microsoft support I was able to find the missing files and copy them to a backup folder. The file formats are either .bak or .dbx. I followed the MS advice and tried to import these files back in to OE6 with no luck. Is there a method or free program which will enable me to restore my emails so that I can read them etc.Note before I tried to uimport thr files I did recrate the folders I had under the inbox folder.
Cheers in advance

mfletch 11:49 13 Sep 09

Not sure if you have tried this but,

Step 1: Import messages from the backup folder
On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.
In the Select an e-mail program to import from box, click Microsoft Outlook Express 5 or Microsoft Outlook Express 6, and then click Next.
Click Import mail from an OE5 store directory or Import mail from an OE6 store directory, and then click OK.
Click Browse, and then click the Mail Backup folder.
Click OK, and then click Next.
Click All folders, click Next, and then click Finish.

Shellshock66 14:08 13 Sep 09

mfletch thanks for the tip . I followed your advice to the letter it appears that the files were sucessfully imported however I still can not find them any ideas?

mfletch 16:33 13 Sep 09

OE/ Tools | Options . on the Maintenance tab, you should press the Store Folder button.

Copy the backup copies of your DBX files to a new empty folder on your hard disk.

In Outlook Express click Import on the File menu, then click Messages.

Select Microsoft Outlook Express 6 and click Next.

Select Import mail from an OE6 store directory and click OK.

Browse to the folder with your backup DBX files and click Next.

Shellshock66 18:17 13 Sep 09

Tried the steps you reconmended when I got to step 5 I got the following failure messages
"message could not be opened it may be in use by OE"
"no messages found or anouther aplication is running that has the files open please select another folder or try closing applications that may have files open".
I have checked the new folder and it does contain the .bak and .dbx files

mfletch 19:44 13 Sep 09

Ive run out of options but!!

Try installing this Windows Live Mail

click here

You can run both

It may import the lost messages ???

beeuuem 23:47 22 Sep 09

With OE closed copy the recovered .dbx files from the backup folder and paste them into the Message Store. Allow these to replace the existing files
Open OE and it should read the files.

johnmichle515 12:01 12 Jan 11

you must try dbx recovery software, i have personally used one with perfection, you can try this from
click here

lotvic 17:29 12 Jan 11

I think the problem is that you have got subfolders under your Inbox.
The sub folders should only ever be under Local Folders.

I believe that when OE recreates the Inbox it deletes the present one and gives you a brand new default empty Inbox.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…