Outlook Express 6 - Urgent

blocker11 20:32 18 Jul 07

Is there a way of backing up the Inbox & Sent Items without having access to the program... as crashes everytime i go into it.

Thanks

VoG II 20:35 18 Jul 07

Search for *.dbx

skidzy 20:42 18 Jul 07

Why not try to fix OE

Try re-registering the dll's

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.

Repeat step 1 for each of the following commands:
regsvr32 mshtml.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 browseui.dll
regsvr32 msjava.dll

Also run sfc:

Start/run and type sfc /scannow and enter.
Understanding sfc click here

Matt.tt 21:04 18 Jul 07

I'm not sure If it quite what you are looking for...but I backup the directiory

C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{4E96CB1E-0163-409B-83F7-49D6CBEFB5A8}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

where USER NAME is obviousally, the name of you computer account.

By backing up the files in that directory is how I backup all my emails in inbox, sent items, deleted items and other folders.

Gain, not sure if that is any use to you.

Stuartli 21:35 18 Jul 07

Outlook Express, as with all Microsoft programs and applications, has a well written and very comprehensive Help section.

Key in "Backup" into the search box and you'll find exactly how to back up various folders.

GroupFC 21:43 18 Jul 07

Normally I wouldn't disagree but in this instance it isn't particularly helpful and I quote:-

"To back up the folder, find the folder file, and then copy it to a backup folder, floppy disk, or network drive. Outlook Express e-mail folders have a .dbx extension (for example, "Sent Items.dbx")".

Matt.tt's post is much more helpful!

lotvic 22:45 18 Jul 07

I also use the method as Matt.tt to back up my *.dbx files to external hdd as it is the easiest and quickest way for me

And as blocker11 is having problems with OE crashing it makes sense to first back up the email *.dbx files before attempting to repair or reinstall OE

Stuartli, what's going on? hope you not got a thing about doing it differently to the Help files (which I agree are usually good - but of no use to this poster when OE is crashing)

Stuartli 22:56 18 Jul 07

No, I don't have a "thing" about doing it differently to the Help section...:-)

The point I was making, as you appreciated, was that people don't seem to use the Help files first or, indeed, not at all.

lotvic 23:06 18 Jul 07

okaay, understood - no probs :)

Switcher 04:23 19 Jul 07

How about starting up Outlook and then importing the mail from Outlook express

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5