Outlook Express 6 restore old e-mails

Smiler 14:07 22 Feb 04

My son has reinstalled win XP but prior to reinstall he backed up his outlook e-mails. He has restored them to the outlook file but they don't show up when outlook is opened. He has tried importing the files but no luck. Any suggestions welcomed.

Paranoid Android 14:22 22 Feb 04

How were they backed up ?

Marvin

Smiler 14:31 22 Feb 04

The files were copied from the original outlook folder to cd and then copied back to the same file on the hard drive.

Smiler 15:38 22 Feb 04

^

Paranoid Android 15:48 22 Feb 04

Ok, now I'm a little confused. Normally the only files stored in the Outlook Express folder are the program files and address book.

The normal location for the message store is in Documents and Settings/Username/Application Data/Identities, unless you moved it to a different location. (Mine is stored in My Documents/Email, so backup is really easy).

There is a recommended process for backing up emails in OE click here;en-us;270670 - if this process is followed the messages can be imported without any problems.

In order to unrvel what has gone wrong I need to know EXACTLY what folder you copied, how you did it and where you copied it back to.

Marvin

Paranoid Android 15:50 22 Feb 04

click here;en-us;270670

Paranoid Android 15:51 22 Feb 04

$%@@#*& thing !!

KB article 270670, anyway.

Marvin

bretsky 16:03 22 Feb 04

Just done an OCR from a pca article.

Email backups.

The official way to bock up email folders in Outlook Express is to find the relevant folder file, then copy it by hand to o floppy disk,
a different location, or some other conventional backup medium.

To find out where a particular folder is stored, right-click the folder name in Outlook Express and choose Properties. The file location is there in the grey area: if the box lsn’t wide enough to show the full details. just click in the filename and move right. Outlook Express folders have a DBX extension - so you’ll see a location for inbox,dbx, sent items.dbx and so on.

Hope this is of some use.

Good luck ..................bretsky;0)

bretsky 16:08 22 Feb 04

Next time use this click here

A lot less hassle!

bretsky;0)

GaT7 17:29 22 Feb 04

I think I may be able to help...I've recovered from exactly the SAME situation as you've described here.

It is really quite simple to do - the backup MUST be restored in a certain way to certain folders (usually the LAST folder in the sequence) and you may not be strictly following a few critical steps...

Do NOT destroy and/or alter your OE6 Backup in ANY way. (And pray your OE6 backup 'folder' info hasn't gotten corrupted! More about this only if required)

First, let us know the EXACT location of your OE6 or .dbx files. The FULL path is VERY important. E.g., in my PC they can be found in the following folder: C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities\{51227C40-2F85-11D8-9DDE-C3F0E32A1005}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

Answer the above and we'll take it from there...

Regards, G

Smiler 19:55 22 Feb 04

Thanks all for your replies my son isn't available at the moment so I won't be able to pass on your suggestions or answer your questions till I speak to him. Probably tomorrow. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…