Outlook Express 6 - Program will not load

Leo111 17:01 13 Aug 09

I have used OE6 for years but all of a sudden it will not fire up. I get an error message saying MSOE.DLL not found. I've tried to load IE6 which I understand includes OE6 but it refuses to load saying that I have a more updated version of IE (ie IE7)loaded. I have tried to delete IE7 but can't do so.
My OS is XP home.
If anyone has any ideas how to fix this I'd be grateful to hear them. I'm going nuts over this as I have a load of work stuff I can't access.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:09 13 Aug 09

MSOE.DLL COULD NOT BE LOADED
This error can occur if one or more *.dbx files in the current store folder are set as Read-only. Close OE and open the store folder in Windows Explorer. Select all files, then right-click on any one and select Properties. Uncheck the box for "Read only", leaving only the "archive" bit checked.

Outlook Express and Internet Explorer share many files. Perform a repair of Internet Explorer. From Control Panel select Add/Remove Programs. Scroll down to Microsoft Internet Explorer and highlight it. Click on the Add/Remove button. When the IE Tools menu comes up, select Repair. Click OK.

Also, you can get to the IE Tools menu by clicking Start > Run and type

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance

If still no joy, uninstall and reinstall Outlook Express.

Leo111 17:45 13 Aug 09

Thanks Fruit Bat for your ideas but I haven't been able to do any of them. My windows explorer doesn't show any store folder & IE isn't identified on the program list on the Add/Remove Programs. When I insert your suggested info in start/run it comes up with module not recognised?
I would prefer to reinstall OE6 but I understand it comes bundled up in IE6 & I can't load this as I have a newer version of IE on my computer which I can't remove?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:12 13 Aug 09

My computer - Tools -Foder options - view - make sure show hidden files and folders is checked.

Look for your .dbx folders under MY documents\outlook express

lotvic 18:23 13 Aug 09

Outlook Express 6 comes with Internet Explorer 7

In Add/Remove Programs it is called 'Windows Internet Explorer 7'
(so you have to scroll down to the W's for Windows)

to be able to view *.dbx files in Windows Explorer you need to 'show hidden files and folders'

Open Windows Explorer then Tools>Folder Options>View Tab. Tick 'show hidden files and folders', Untick 'Hide File extensions of known type' and Untick 'Hide protected operating system files' Or you won't be able to see them.

In XP they are usually in .dbx folders in Documents and settings>yourname>Local settings>application data>identities>[long folder name of numbers symbols and letters > Microsoft> Outlook Express

Outlook Express messages are *.dbx (a database only readable in OE - unless you install an additional dbx reader prog)

birdface 19:00 13 Aug 09

Try tools.Internet Options.Advanced.And press reset. That resets I/Explorer to its original state and may fix Outlook Express at the same time.

Leo150 20:59 13 Aug 09

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. In Add/Remove Programs, Internet Explorer doesn't show up anywhere. Under W, M or I. I did update IE7 to IE8 & that showed up, but when I removed it via Add/Remove, IE7 was left behind, full working but not in Add/Remove.
I've check all the .dbx files in OE as detailed by lotvic (thanks again) but they all show only the archive box ticked, no box had read only ticked.
Buteman I tried your idea but no luck, thanks anyway.

birdface 21:01 13 Aug 09

In add remove have you show updates ticked at the top.

lotvic 22:06 13 Aug 09

First thing to do is make a copy of all the *.dbx

This is easiest done by first making a new folder in your My Documents (let's call it IDbackup13aug09)

Now in left pane go to Documents and settings>yourname>Local settings>application data>
so that 'Identities' is shown as a folder in the righthand pane.

Now rightclick on 'Identities' folder and copy it to the new folder you created 'IDbackup13aug09' in My Documents.

There, now they are safely backed up you can muck about with Internet Explorer and Outlook Express without having to worry that you will lose any emails.
You will be able to 'import' your emails back into OE (if the originals get messed up) when you get it sorted out or you can download something like the freeware OE Viewer click here to view and read the copies at anytime.

Leo150 00:13 14 Aug 09

Thanks lotvic, I've done that but the OE Viewer 1.2 download doesn't work. Your link takes me to the website but when I click on download it tells me that the page can't be found.
Can I get to this software any other way?

Technotiger 06:57 14 Aug 09

Try a System Restore back to when it was all working fine!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…