Outlook Express 6 : phantom attachments

VCR97 10:00 15 Jun 03

Several messages in my Sent Items folder have been given attachments even though no attachment was sent with the message and there is no paper-clip icon in the summary list. The file name is shown as an Internet Explorer icon followed by a file name of the form ATT000123.htm(456bytes). The number changes every time that I look at the message and increments by random amounts as I go from youngest to oldest message and vice versa.I looked at the attachments (after scanning them) and all turn out to be the actual e-mail message! I tried deleting them by double-clicking on the header to open the message in a separate window and then right-clicking the ATT entry. This brings a drop-down menu with an option to remove, but Remove is greyed-out. (It's also greyed-out for genuine attachments.) Any ideas, please?

jazzypop 11:11 15 Jun 03

My guess is that the original message came in as HTML, and you replied in plain text. When this happens, the HTML information is stripped out, and stored in an attachment.

The same thing can happen if you choose the option to always respond to person x in plain text.

velodrome 00:54 16 Jun 03

keith S
jazzypop is right, but as you have not ticked the "question answered" box. Try the following. In internet explorer go to tools/options/read, then remove the tick in the "read all messages in plain text" box.

velodrome 04:22 16 Jun 03

Keith S - Oops, sorry that should be Outlook Express.

VCR97 08:48 21 Jun 03

Jazzypop and Velodrome

Thanks for the info. I have been reading in plain text and it is almost certain that the messages arrived in HTML. Clearing the "Read all messages ......" box removed the attachment.

Cheers, KeithS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…