Outlook Express 6 mail deleting problem

Mavro 12:49 20 May 04

When I try to delete an email an ‘warning’ message pops up. The message says ‘! The message could not be deleted’. If I try to drag the message from the inbox to the deleted file a message pops up saying ‘The selected message(s) could not be moved’. ‘An error has occurred’. When I try to open the deleted items file it opens but doesn’t show any content. The only solution is to reboot which corrects the problem for a while. Any ideas?? Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 16:13 20 May 04

Is your deleted items folder full?

Try a repaclick here
318378 - How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XPir:

Mavro 16:25 20 May 04

Thanks I'll delete the majority of the deleted file contents and see if that helps. I'll let you know.

Mavro 10:47 21 May 04

I'm sorry to say that the deletion of the contents of the 'deleted' file did't improve things. I am running windows 98. Will your repair link work on that? If I remove OE6 how can I back up all my mail files? Where can I get OE5 to replace it? Help!!

Mavro 11:04 21 May 04

I've now read through '328378' document and realize that it's advice for the repair of 'XP', although frankly if it was for '98' I'd be scared stiff of touching a key in case I screwed up my computer completely!! (How I envy you people who can understand these things!!) Acually I'm getting desparate as I now dont seem to be able to delete any mail from the inbox and since Im getting 400+ a day I am about to get swamped.

Diodorus Siculus 11:49 21 May 04

Go to add/remove programs and try to remove IE. That will give an option to repair it which should also repair OE.

Mavro 11:54 21 May 04

thanks will do

Mavro 13:36 21 May 04

Well, I did as suggested and found 2 programs in the 'add/remove' programs. I repaired the 'Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SPI and internet tools' one, leaving the other (Internet Explorer Q831167) alone as there was no repair option. The repair seemed to work for a while and did improve things, however the problem remains and although I can delete mail from my inbox after a few minutes I am unable to and still have to reboot. Any further thoughts??

GroupFC 15:26 21 May 04

I don't know if this will be any help, but - sometime ago when I had some trouble deleting a large number of e-mails (I can't remember exactly what the problem or symptoms were!), I found advice here suggesting shutting down AVG (remembering to re-activate it later!) and then deleting the e-mails and that worked for me!

May be worth trying! Good luck!

Mavro 16:04 21 May 04

Thanks GroupFC, I asume by AVG you mean anti-virus software. I disabled both my Vshield and firewall(Zone Alarm) but still can't delete unless I reboot and then only for a few minutes. I've noticed that if I close OE when it's working OK and go onto the internet when I open OE again I can't delete or open the deleted file. Strange!!
Thanks for the try though!

Mavro 17:16 27 May 04

I'm stilll having problems. I have repaired OE6 but no good so I removed OE6 and tried OE5 (which remained after the removal of OE6) and had the same problem. So it seems to be the 'base' program which has a fault. I could try to remove OE totally and reinstall but I'm worried about losing all my records/files of emails. Is it possible to back them up someway then remove OE and reinstall?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…