Outlook Express 6 - Import Problem

William-336251 08:29 17 Jun 03

I have bought a new laptop running OE6 on Windows XP Home. I want to import my email from the old desktop system which is OE5 on Windows 95.

Having read through a number of the threads here, I have located the files in OE5 and copied them into a folder on the new system.

However, when I try to import the database files into OE6 the first part of the wizard is asking which program I am importing from and the only options for Outlook Express are OE4 and OE6. Selecting either of these obviously doesn't work. I therefore have 2 questions.

Firstly, how do I import when OE5 is not a programme option? Secondly, do I have to delete the existing files from the store location in OE6 first?

If someone has experience of this problem and could provide a step by step guide I'd appreciate it.

fitshase 09:58 17 Jun 03

Normally you would have to export the files from OE5 (File\Export), specify a location to export to and then click on OK.

Then, copy the exported files across to your new machine and import them into OE6.

I have heard of a few problems when people copy the files across without exporting them first.

William-336251 13:54 17 Jun 03

Thanks but will this solve the problem of not having OE5 as an email program option when using the import wizard?

Megatyte 14:03 17 Jun 03

'Export Messages' will only export to another application(e.g. Microsoft Outlook).

The way I normally do it is to create a new folder on the C drive(name it whatever you like, Mail is the obvious one).

Open OE. Click Tools - Options and select the Maintenance tab. Click Store Folder - Change and then browse to your new folder. OK and OK. Close and re-open OE. Your mail will now be in the new folder. Transfer this folder to your new machine and then repeat the above from Open OE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…