Outlook Express 6 headache... Please help!

Gunstar 00:31 08 Apr 03

In a nutshell, I can access the internet but when I try to send/receive mail via OE6 I get the following message on all 3 of my POP3 mail accounts

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.****.com', Server: 'pop.****.com', Protocol: POP3, Port:110, Secure (SSL): No, Error number: 0x800CCCF".

Where **** is, should be the name of the ISP.

The MS Knowledge base had nothing.

This has come to light since I reformatted and reinstalled XP Pro. I've checked the settings, and used the mail export/import thing in outlook to make sure before I formatted.

I even signed up with a new ISP (freeserve) because I thought it was the fault of my old one (Supanet).

Any help would be gratefully received, if you need any more info, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Giggle n' Bits 01:00 08 Apr 03

Sounds like your account settings are haywire.

Go into the Outlook express 6 and get to the properties for your account options and check the server settings for your choosen account are correct.

Mr X

Giggle n' Bits 01:05 08 Apr 03

Are you running WinXP on a Time PC ?.

Giggle n' Bits 01:11 08 Apr 03

set to "always connect to ...
use Apply button complete).

Thing is with Freeserve, you can use account retrieval option at top of home page.

Delete all other accounts before apart from the one your connected to.

Gunstar 01:31 08 Apr 03

The reason I setup the Freeserve account was because I thought it was a Supanet fault. Seems it wasn't though. The freeserve settings are the ones used from the install via the CD and then through the website, so it should be ok.

There's Zonealarm installed, and NAV2002 but even when they're turned off it's still the same.

Other than that, I can't think of anything that might cause this... But it's the able to get on the net thing that's wierd, if it can do this via the new FS connection I don't know why it won't let me get the mail.

FYI the system is basically thus...

MSI 745 Ultra MB (Using the onboard sound)
XP1800 CPU
512 DDR
GeForce4 MX440
Intel PCI modem
LiteOn DVD & CDRW
Maxtor 7200 40Gb HD
And of course XP Pro

I've just never heard of this, and I'm completely flummoxed!

Anything else would be a godsend.

Thanks again.

Gunstar 01:39 08 Apr 03

What exactly is P.L?

Probably extremely obvious, but it's late now :-)

And there's no sort of time out on that error message, all three are instant.

Thanks again.

kimjhon 02:07 08 Apr 03

All Greek to me.
But here should get you sorted

click here

Gunstar 08:37 08 Apr 03

Thanks dcdc!

That's a handy site indeed!

I'll try that later and see how I go, although with the net connection staying on and just OE playing games I'm not sure how that works.

I'll try a new extension and see what happens.

Thanks again

Gunstar 19:37 13 Apr 03

After all that it turned out to be the free version of zonealarm. Shutting it down didn't make any difference, I uninstalled it, and it worked just as it's supposed to.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Goldcroft 20:37 13 Apr 03

Thanks for the site dcdc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…