Outlook Express 6 hangs...

Xevious 16:02 23 Apr 04

this could be a simple one for one of you lot, i bet i'm missing something really simple here...?

have a customer who's PC was infected by a few viruses, which i managed to erradicate, now it seems that Outlook Express will hang when opening it...

1) if you open OE it would normally have brought the dial-up box up immediately, but now takes approx 1 minute for it to appear, at which point it checks for mail no probs. but when trying to exit OE then it hangs. (OE not responding)

2) if, upon entering OE, we click on send/receive immediatley, then it hangs there.

3) but opening IE, the dial-up box appears immediately (as it should!)

now, i've upgraded from IE5 to IE6 and that didn't resolve matters, also removed dialup networking, then reinstalled and that didn't resolve matters either...

where to next? any ideas? it's windows 98 btw.

and yes, i hear you saying that the virus probably corrupted a few files...etc and reinstall windows is best option, but i'm trying to get by without having to do that...

hmmmmmmmmm...

any ideas would be appreciated, thx

Xevious 17:13 23 Apr 04

anyone?

Diodorus Siculus 17:17 23 Apr 04

Any chance that you can do a repair on IE?

Xevious 17:18 23 Apr 04

to be fair, i didn't try that. i just assumed that when upgrading from 5 to 6 that would repair any potential problems...

but as they say "never assume!"

i'll only see the customer again on tuesday but am hoping to go there with more ammo... :-)

Xevious 10:05 26 Apr 04

anyone else have any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5