Outlook Express 6 - folder storage problem

Shotoverroofman 14:59 24 Feb 09

In my list of folders, the top level has always been 'Outlook Express'; below this 'Local Folders', and below this: 'Inbox, Outbox, Sent Items, Deleted Items & Drafts', respectively.

All my own created folders I have always put in linked to 'Inbox'. For example, I have a 'Friends' folder under which I have a long list of friends' names in alphabetical order, where I can store emails from any friend - easily found.

Now I don't know what happened to cause it, but one day recently, every one of my folders and all their associated sub-folders, were all transferred from the 'Inbox' link to the 'Local Folders' link.

Consequently, the 'Friends' folder, for example, and all the friends' individual names, are now in a single line alphabetically under 'Local Folders', so I have to trawl through the whole list to find individual friends, rather than finding them all together. My system is ruined!

Also, 'Inbox' has always been at the top of the list, under 'Local Folders', but 'Outbox, Sent Items, Deleted Items & Drafts' were all at the bottom, beneath my list of created folders. These have now all moved up to the top, beneath 'Inbox'.

Does anyone have a clue how I might return things to the original system? Any suggestions gratefully received!

lotvic 15:32 24 Feb 09

I do not know why OE decided to re-arrange your folders, but it was very sensible of it.
Maybe OE had decided 'enough is enough - I'll do it if he/she won't' and did it during one of its compacting 'tidy-up' sessions.

<<Also, 'Inbox' has always been at the top of the list, under 'Local Folders', but 'Outbox, Sent Items, Deleted Items & Drafts' were all at the bottom, beneath my list of created folders. These have now all moved up to the top, beneath 'Inbox'.>>

That is how it is supposed to look as the above are all 'system folders' of OE

The Inbox should not have any sub folders (yes, I know you can create them, but it gets very shakey/flakey and may crash OE eventually) (a design fault? maybe, but that is how it is)

Any folders you do create should be a sub-folder of (linked to) Local Folders

When you say ""'Friends' folder, for example, and all the friends' individual names, are now in a single line alphabetically under 'Local Folders', so I have to trawl through the whole list to find individual friends""
do you mean the individual named folders are not now inside the Friends folder?
If so, then just drag them back inside the Friends folder.
The path should be: Local Folders > Friends > and then a list of folders with individual names

Note: OE compacts and tidies up after every 100 times the program is used. It is supposed to do this - just let it that's the way it's been designed and don't use any other programs until it has finished or your email may get corrupted/lost - can't do anything to alter that.

Shotoverroofman 15:54 24 Feb 09

Thanks Lotvic, that's clear enough - I didn't know my folders were supposed to be under 'Local Folders'. I just have a lot of dragging & dropping to do to restore my system, as the individual folders are now separate from the 'Friends'! Thanks again.

Sea Urchin 23:46 24 Feb 09

Just highlight the messages (using Ctrl/Shift as appropriate) you wish to transfer to "Friends" then right click on the block and Move To Folder - select Friends.

Shotoverroofman 19:52 01 Mar 09

Thanks for your suggestion, Sea Urchin. I can highlight all the files I want under Local Folders, as you say, but unfortunately right clicking does not bring up a'Move to Folder' (as it does in 'My Documents').

Sea Urchin 20:05 01 Mar 09

I meant you to be highlighting the contents of the folder and then Move to Folder. But glad you got it sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…