Outlook Express 6 Error on Install

beaky 07:45 30 May 03

I used a FREESERVE install disk to set up a friend yesterday to Freeserve Anytime whose PC is running Win98 with bags of capacity.

Internet Explorer works fine, but Outlook Express has a problem. When opening OE6 an error message states "Unable to open address book - The address book may not be installed properly. When attempting to open an email a further error message appears "There was an error opening this message. An error has occurred". The only 2 emails she has are Welcome to OE6 and Your Any Time Freeserve Membership!

Assuming OE6 did not install correctly, we uninstalled OE6 via control panel / remove programs. Your install disk would not let us re-install OE6 - so we reloaded the OE5 from the Windows 98 disk.

Same errors occur.

My friend is unable to receive or send emails. She still has AOL installed so she is still using that. The intention is to replace AOL with Freeserve Anytime, for which she has given her credit card details.

My friend is very keen to ditch AOL but was somewhat put off with the above OE problems.

Freeserve say this is a Windows problem. Any suggestions please?

Lú-tzé 08:12 30 May 03

Try system file checker:

start_run sfc /scannow

Or

Try a different email prog: there are lots of freeones out there, eg Pegasus, Calypso email, Eudora to mention a few. Or Becky from click here which costs about US$40 - I use it and find it excellent.

Remove OE using the add/remove control panel and then log on to windowsupdate site and install it from there.

Andsome 08:52 30 May 03

My original computer was given to me by my son, he had used AOL, and then tried another ISP. I could not get online. AOL does not want to let you go, and frequently the only recourse is to reinstall Windows and start from scratch. The added problem is that whilst many people use IE 6 with 98 or 98SE, some computers are not happy with this. If you reinstall Windows from the 98 CD you should find that you will have IE 5. I know that this is drastic, but if you try all the other suggestions first, you may well have to end up doing this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…