Outlook Express 6 Error?

scooby43 13:09 21 May 03

HI all

I have a problem with outlook Express 6 on windows XP Home Edition every time I open outlook express its ok no problems but when I click on the cross at the top hand corner of the screen it closes but then I get this error message

MSIMN.EXE Application Error

The Instruction at "0x77f51d26" referenced memory at "0x009a4e7c" the memory could not be "written"

click ok to terminate the program anyone know whaat ths means as it comes up every time after closing outlook express 6

BigMoFoT 13:16 21 May 03

MSMIN is the run file for express and as it is part of windows you can't really remove it (even though it is listed in add/remove windows components..

Make sure you have all the available updates from windows update..if ur still having probs then try this..

In safe mode;

Click start > run and typ msconfig..click on expand file..

In the first box type msimn.exe,
In the second type, c:\windows\driver cache\i386
In the last box type c:\windows\system32

and then click expand file, click ok and then agree to restart

scooby43 13:26 21 May 03

Hi BigMoFoT

Thanks for the post ill give it a go

Djohn 13:51 21 May 03

MSIMN.exe Is to do with file protection in Outlok express.
Click on, Start/search, then on files and folders. In the search box type the following.

*.dbx

Then click on search. When all the affected files are shown, make a note of them then open windows explorer, find the files, right click, then choose properties. You will probably find they are ticked as "Read only" un-tick this setting, and it will cure the problem.

It is because this setting is chosen by default on install that the files cannot be accessed.

Exit and re-boot, from now on all files will be accessible and the message will not appear again. Regards. J.

BigMoFoT 13:59 21 May 03

If you click Start> Run> and type msimn ands click OK> that command will open outlook express; Not sure where the file protection comes in to it?

Djohn 14:05 21 May 03

Neither am I to be honest. I'm not very technical, and if this question had come up yesterday, I would not have had a clue.

I had exactly the same problem, express worked fine until I activated outlook.

Yesterday afternoon, I sent an e-mail to M/Soft tech. team, and received the reply 2 hours ago. All I have done is to type in my post exactly what is in the e-mail, and it has worked for me.

Stopped a lot of hair pulling. J.

scooby43 14:35 21 May 03

thanks for ur responses I feel confused which method to try :( I didnt even know what file protection is ?

Djohn 15:13 21 May 03

If you are using Win. XP Open your Outlook express folder from program files. In there you will see several icons, right click on each one and choose properties.

In the lower left of the window that opens, you will see a small box, "Read Only". If there is a tick in that box then remove it by clicking on it.

Because the application, (Think that's the correct name) is read only, that is why you are receiving the message, "File cannot be written to"

Hope this helps, sorry I can't explain better, but as I said in my post above, I'm not very technical, and only following instructions from Microsoft. Regards. J.

scooby43 15:50 21 May 03

Hi Djohn

I tried the *.dbx in search but it didnt find anything and went through program files and opened the outlook express and checked each icon but none of the boxs are ticked once in properties for each.

cheers

Djohn 18:25 21 May 03

To find the *.dbx files, you will need to enable, "Show all files and folders" as these will be hidden files.

If using XP then start, search, files/folders, click on advanced, then choose, "All files and subfolder, including hidden". Your *.dbx files will then be shown.

Again I am assuming you are using Win XP. and there is probably a better way to do this, but it is the only way I know.

To check your Outlook express folder. Click on start/My Computer/C drive, Sometimes called (Local Disk). then click on, program files, then scroll down and you will see a folder called "Outlook express", click on that to open, there will be several files in there, right click on each one, choose properties and under the general tab will be the choice of read only. Make sure this is not checked.

I think that when you did it the first time, because you had not chosen "Show all files", then some would have been hidden from your view.

Hope this is of some help to you. As I said in my earlier post, I was receiving the exact same message as you, even the 0x77f51d26 code. the only thing that changes with each use is the last piece of code, that is always different.

Don't know how or why this happens, or how the fix given by M/Soft cures it, but it does stop it from happening. I had another look at the e-mail I received from M/Soft and the problem is somehow connected to the use of "Outlook" and Outlook express. Regards. J.

scooby43 12:19 23 May 03

hi yes sorry I failed to mention I am using XP I ddint realise I had to enable hidden too ill go back and have another look

cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…