Outlook Express 6 - cannot send emails

Drpeter 15:50 30 Mar 10

When trying to send an email, I get the following error message:-
"The host 'smtp.freeserve.net' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'Peter', Server: 'smtp.freeserve.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D"
However, I can receive emails and can also send emails from my Hotmail account.
My ISP is Orange on broadband, but feel they cannot be at fault if I can send from Hotmail. I have checked all the SMTP settings, which are correct - and have been the same for years!
Any help would be much appreciated again.
Peter

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:18 30 Mar 10
  ame 16:20 30 Mar 10

You could always try removing your mail account [OE>Tools>Accounts : Mail tab>remove highlighted account] and setting it up again from scratch.

ame 16:25 30 Mar 10

If you are going to uninstall and reinstall Outlook Express, remember to copy your inbox, sent items, etc files to My Documents first.

Drpeter 16:36 30 Mar 10

Thanks Fruit Bat - I looked at that link earlier, but it does not really answer my problem.
I may have to uninstall OE, ame, as a last resort, but perhaps there is some other way (?)

ame 16:38 30 Mar 10

Just make sure you don't lose all your mail folders (.dbx files)! Can you use webmail to send meantime?

David4637 16:40 30 Mar 10

You DONT uninstall OE, you remove the email account with probs, noting all the settings first, then create the same account again. David

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:47 30 Mar 10

Back up and recover Outlook Express
click here
Search your old computer for files ending .dbx. These are your emails. There should be Inbox.dbx, Outbox.dbx, Drafts.dbx etc. There must also be Folders.dbx, this is the data telling OE how the emails are compressed. Save all these dbx files, then you can either import them into OE on your new computer, or overwrite the files of the same name in the new computer. Look for a file called (name).wab, this is your address book, and a folder called Favorites. Save these and either import or overwrite to transfer them.

Sea Urchin 17:20 30 Mar 10

There are several threads on here at the moment reporting that they cannot access the Orange server at the moment. If it was my ISP I would consider that quite possibly there is a fault with Orange. Your Hotmail account is using a different server, so will not be affected.

shellship 17:23 30 Mar 10

Many moons ago I had this problem, repeatedly, and in rage changed to Outlook which has served me well ever since. You might try Thunderbird, too.

Woolwell 17:33 30 Mar 10

Change smtp to smtp.orange.co.uk. This works fine for me and is still working today. The freeserve one has been a bit hit and miss for some years now.
Change your pop to pop.orange.co.uk or pop.orangehome.co.uk too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…