Outlook Express 6 - blank messages sent

greybeard 19:41 08 Oct 08

A friend received an email from her son which had a list of other recipients listed.
Later, she sent a reply to her son, but when it arrived there was no text in the message.
Not only that, but a copy had been sent to all the others in the original list of recipients, also with no text.
This list of email addresses in now in her address book, even though nothing was done by her to put it there.
I can't think of any method by which she could do this, even if she knew how. I certainly don't.

My only suspicion is that the original email was infected with something.
She is runing win98 on a thinkpad, with Avast as an antivirus, but it's not up-to-date, so that has been rectified.
She only goes onto the net to a few sites, and is generally on line only for family email.

Any help or advice would be most welcome.

Taff™ 07:13 09 Oct 08

There are two settings which could do this. Your friend might have pressed the "Reply to All" icon instead of "Reply" which would explain why it went to everyone. There is a setting that puts everyone you reply to in the address book. Is it possible that her message was put at the bottom of the original message instead of at the top?

greybeard 12:15 22 Oct 08

Thanks Taff. As you suspected, she had the "Reply to all" on her toolbar, and having deleted it on my own, I'd forgotten its existence.
John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…