Outlook Express 6

Daiol 09:33 29 Jul 09

Hi,I have windows xp pro & using OE6 for my emails.On my inbox i have subfolders as you all know,Now they have got a bit untidy they are all over the place.
Now is it possible to re organise all my sub folders ie.
1st Folder David
2nd Folder bill
3rd Folder orders
and so on.
Is that possible to be done under the inbox folder.I hope to get it all into shipshape as i get emails to save to a peticular folder i have to search for it as if it was maybe in alfibetical order or something in that line it might be easier all round.
Any thoughts please.d

lotvic 10:08 29 Jul 09

Not a good idea having sub folders of the Inbox

They should be (sub) folders of Local Folders

Re-arrange (drag and drop into Local Folders) and rename them (rightclick and choose rename) so that your list reads
Inbox
Outbox
Sent Items
Deleted Items
Drafts
01 David
02 bill
03 Orders
04 ****
05 ***

The reason to rename with a number at the front of folders you create is so that they will appear in the order you want as opposed to alphabetical.

As for:
Inbox
Outbox
Sent Items
Deleted Items
Drafts
These are system folders and should not be tampered with or they will be liable to corrupt and then you will lose all your email that is in them. This is liable to happen when OE6 does it's compacting (tidying up of folders) which it does on every 100 opening of OE.
It is supposed to compact so let it and don't do anything else on pc until it has finished. (it is finicky like that) when it has finished compacting you will find that there are lots of .bak folders in your recycle bin. That is because it does a temporary backup of folders while it is sorting them and then dumps them when it has finished with them. They can safely be 'emptied' from recycle bin without affecting your email in OE.

Now you will find that your folders 'stay put' after OE does it's 'tidying up' (compacting)

Daiol 11:24 29 Jul 09

lotvic,Thanks for that info i followed your instructions well,but when i got to 16 it made a sub folder.Does it mean that i got to many folders in the local folders ?.d.

Daiol 16:12 30 Jul 09

Thanks all sorted now.d.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos