Outlook Express

Yimbo 20:06 PM 04 May 11

The icons for "cut", "copy" "paste" and "spellcheck" have all become greyed-out in OE. I can't seem to be able to restore them. They were all there couple of days ago. Can anyone help me, plase? I'm using XP (Home) with SP3.

Woolwell 20:54 PM 04 May 11

Is this after you installed Outlook? Is Outlook Express your default e-mail client again?

Yimbo 10:42 AM 05 May 11

Yes, Woolwell, it was after I installed MS Office - though I declined Outlook - or thought I did! I then got a box saying that OE was no longer my default email client - and would I like to make it the default. I did that, and OE appeared to resume as normal - other that the greyed-out icons!

My only fear about shifting over to Outlook was that of losing all my emails and addresses etc in OE. But I gather that that can be avoided.

Woolwell 11:04 AM 05 May 11

Shifting old e-mails over to Outlook from OE can be a pain and moving contacts isn't without risk. But the old date should remain intact.

Not sure why the icons should now be greyed out. Is OE set as the default e-mail client in Internet Explorer. Forget how that is et up in XP.

Woolwell 11:05 AM 05 May 11

Further thought has Word become your default e-mail editor?

Yimbo 11:45 AM 05 May 11

"Is OE set as Default email client in IE?" I'm not sure how to check this!

"Has Word become your default email editor?" I just don't know!

You must think I'm a bit thick about these things! Sorry! So long as something continues to work, I just use it and leave it alone! And when a problem arises, well, this Helproom is my No.1 resource!

The icons are no longer greyed-out - - they've now vanished altogether! And, under "Customise Toolbar" they're not listed as "available"!

Woolwell 11:51 AM 05 May 11

Yimbo I'm sorry but it so long since I used OE that I will have to look it up. I think that someone else may have to help. Sorry if I've cause any confusion.

Woolwell 11:54 AM 05 May 11

Set OE as default e-mail client link text

Yimbo 12:00 PM 05 May 11

Thanks, Woolwell, for all your help! I really appreciate your input!

Hopefully, someone else can take me further towards a solution!

Woolwell 12:01 PM 05 May 11

Ignore the bit about Word as the default e-mail editor as I don't think that this is possible with OE.

wee eddie 12:07 PM 05 May 11

I thought that OE was dead and that M$ had replaced it with Windows Live Mail.

Could this have anything to do with your problems?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Steve Albini's notorious email is now a punchy music video

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…