//some 3rd party need geo

outlook express on 2nd drive

Magik ®© 11:14 04 Aug 04

hi, a rough outline of what happened, the hard drive packed up, i had an old one which i nailed in, i thought if i could make to one that packed up into a slave drive, i could use it for storage, so while the side was off the PC i changed the jumpers, and did that, when i fired up the system, the slave drive seemed to have all it's programmes still on it, now to the point, about time i hear you cry, all the emails on the drive that packed up, should still be on it, are you all still with me?, but when i go to the OE folder on the slave drive, and click on it, it checks for mail has if it is the main drive, so where are all the emails which were on it?

thanks

temp003 11:39 04 Aug 04

Did you click on the [slave drive letter]:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe file?

If so, you were opening the OE program itself. I don't know whether that would have altered the emails store.

In any event, if you had XP on the slave drive, then the emails would have been stored in the folder:

[slave drive letter]:\documents and settings\[your user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{ID string}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

If you have the same mail folders in the OE on the master drive, you can import the emails on the slave drive to the OE on the master drive.

Boot into Windows on master drive. Open OE. Click File, Import, Messages. Select Outlook Express 6 (if that was the version of OE on the slave drive), Next, tick the selection for "Import mail from an OE6 store directory", OK, Browse, and navigate to the above folder (slave drive letter:\documents and settings\...\outlook express. Click OK and follow the prompts.

If you use different versions of Windows, post back.

Magik ®© 11:57 04 Aug 04

thank you, i am using win98se, I went through your post, even though you mentioned XP, and it said it could not find any mail..when the drive went down, there was stacks of mail in there.

temp003 12:24 04 Aug 04

Just to double check, in My Computer, click View, Options, then tick Show All Files, and untick Hide MS-DOS extensions for file types that are registered. Click OK.

Start, Find, and type .dbx and search for it on the slave drive (if you used OE5 or OE6 on the slave drive). If you used OE4, type in .mbx and search.

The search should reveal all files ending in .dbx or .mbx.

See if you can find any such files on the slave drive.

Post back.

temp003 12:31 04 Aug 04

By the way, in Windows 98, the OE store folder should be [slave drive letter]:\WINDOWS \Applications Data\Microsoft\ Outlook Express

If you had Profiles enabled in 98, the folder should be [slave drive letter]:\WINDOWS\Profiles\[username]\Application Data\Microsoft\ Outlook Express

Magik ®© 13:03 04 Aug 04

hi again....I worked my way through all the above, and it would appear i have not got the OE folder, in the microsoft folder.. :-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…