Outlook Express

JWallis 18:55 13 Mar 07

I have set up a dial-up connection to access email from BTYahoo. Every time I connect to the internet, however, Outlook Express appears and gets in the way of my log on screen to Yahoo. How I can stop it opening automatically in this way? I do not need OE for the email which I get directly from BTYahoo (Talk21)

JWallis

beeuuem 19:01 13 Mar 07

In OE > Tools > Options >General tab ensure that the box 'Check for new messages every' is not ticked.

JWallis 10:36 14 Mar 07

I tried that but OE still opened as soon as I logged on to Yahoo. Is there some way of switching OE off?

JWallis

Sheik Yerbouti 11:06 14 Mar 07

Control Panel - Add Remove Progs - Add Remove Windows components - Uninstall OE from there if you don't use it.

Sheik Yerbouti 11:09 14 Mar 07

Just looking further into my last post...it looks like that only uninstall OE from the start menu..sorry.

JWallis 11:10 14 Mar 07

presumably I could reinstall it at some future point if necessary?

JWallis 11:11 14 Mar 07

how do I uninstall from the Start menu and can I reinstall if necessary?

Sheik Yerbouti 11:14 14 Mar 07

JWallis, see my second post above. You could try my suggestion and see if it actually uninstalls OE or just makes it dissapear from the start menu. If it uninstalls,then yes, you could reinstall by doing the procedure again (put tick back in box).

Sheik Yerbouti 11:16 14 Mar 07

click here

click here

Some reading on the subject.

brundle 11:20 14 Mar 07

There is an options screen within BT Yahoo that allows you to select to load IE and/or OE automatically when you connect, you can tick `Do Not Show This Again` and the only way of restoring it is to remove the BTYahoo dial up manager and re-install. You need to find or download a file called `SetupBTYahoo.exe` to re-install it.

Sheik Yerbouti 11:20 14 Mar 07

from the first link above.

Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional
1. Remove Outlook Express 6.0 from Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional.a. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
b. In Add or Remove Programs, click Add/Remove Windows Components.
c. In the Components list, click to clear the Outlook Express check box, and then click Next. Outlook Express will be removed from the computer.

2. Reinstall Outlook Express 6.0 on a computer that is running Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional.a. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
b. In Add or Remove Programs, click Add/Remove Windows Components.
c. In the Components list, click to select the Outlook Express check box, and then click Next.
d. After Outlook Express is installed, click Finish

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017