Outlook Express

vanbrugh 00:16 13 Feb 07

Thanks to all for help on IE; now functioning OK.

Now have problem with Outlook Express. NTLWorld (now BransonMedia) are trying to help for the third time - but an explanation and a cure would be appreciated.
Problem: OE repeatedly downloads the same mail sticking at a variable point - cumulatively now 53! This leaves goodness knows how many e-mails stuck the other side of the blockage.
NTL have told me how to access and check mail via their web-site and how to clear unwelcome, already received and read mail at point of receipt.
That gets around the problem but is not a cure! [Why bother with OE at all if mail can be accessed at will on the ISP's server????]

lotvic 00:33 13 Feb 07

Try this: increase the time allowed by your email software to try and download emails. In Outlook Express:

1. Click on Tools (top menu)
2. Click Accounts
3. Select the Mail tab
4. Double click on your email account (in the account window)
5. Select the Advanced tab
6. Drag the Server Timeouts bar to the right - until the time-out value is 5 minutes.

Batch 08:36 13 Feb 07

On the same Advanced tab as above, you should also check that "Leave a copy of message on server" is NOT checked.

Taff™ 09:05 13 Feb 07

What you have is one e-mail message on the server that is either corrupt or very large probably with an attachment. Lotvic`s solution may work but NTL have given you sound advice. Use webmail to identify the errant e-mail and delete it. You will be able to download the attachment from there anyway if you need it.

p;3 09:29 13 Feb 07

bookmarked as some stuff on here might help me with one of my problems

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…