Outlook express

jbaker65 12:59 02 Oct 06

Since my ISP had a problem last Saturday, I have been able to send eMail but not receive. When I attempt to receive I get an error message:-
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'J.Baker ADSL', Server: 'mail.members.v21.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Ihave triedon microsoft website to resolve this with no success. Any ideas anyone. THANKS.

ICF 13:08 02 Oct 06

What virus and firewall software are you using?

jbaker65 13:16 02 Oct 06

AVG antivirus (for about 3 years)
Comodo Firewall
I have run Spybot Adaware and A squared and they show no problems.

ICF 13:22 02 Oct 06

Have a look at the bottom of the page were it says SOCKET ERROR #10053 and check if your AVG is set right.

click here

jbaker65 13:34 02 Oct 06

As far as I can see, the AVG is set up and configured correctly

dazwm 14:07 02 Oct 06

Contact your ISP Techinical Line.

jbaker65 14:56 02 Oct 06

Stuartli 14:59 02 Oct 06

Check out the POP3 and SMTP configuration again after checking the required details on your ISP's website Help and Support pages.

pierc113 15:29 02 Oct 06

think am having the same problem, something is changing my pop address and adding @ to my user name everytime i start the pc, I have to correct these for my outlook email to receive.

skidzy 19:17 02 Oct 06

As Stuartli says"Check out the POP3 and SMTP configuration again after checking the required details on your ISP's website Help and Support pages".

I had a similar problem not so long ago and the cause was Mcafee security suite.It turned out to be the Spamkiller settings causing a loopback of the isp address,resulting in only being able to send mail and not receive.After uninstalling these settings all was well.

I notice you are using AVG,maybe trying an uninstall from add and remove programs,run ccleaner click here then reboot the system and download AVG again.

To varify that Avg may be the cause,try disabling the AVG mail scanner,reset the pop3 settings to your isp recommendations and try to send yourself an email.

Hope this helps.

jbaker65 12:54 03 Oct 06

problem now solved. I switched off 'scan eMail' in AVG checked my eMail. It was ok. switched 'check eMail' back on in AVG and all was now well. I didn't alter any outlook express settings so don't ask me what changed.
I think it's easier to understand a Woman!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…