Outlook Express

Minxster 10:09 24 Mar 06

I'm asking this for my father...

He is currently using a dial up connection and subscribes to the internet server provider "totalise" but uses Outlook for his emails. Just recently the internet connection keeps dropping after a minute or two of being on Outlook and he's finding it difficult to send and receive emails. His emails are sitting in the draft box but the connection does not stay online long enough for any to be sent. His operating system is Windows XP

Any idea what is going on?

johnnyrocker 10:31 24 Mar 06

check all cabling/connections, you say it is an outlook express issue but also say he is using outlook, they are both different please post which it is check in settings that it is not ticked to hang up after send/receive (unable to advise where because no knowledge of which is in use)

johnny.

Minxster 10:35 24 Mar 06

Thanks for responding - I am going by what he says so I hope this makes sense.

He seems to be able to open Outlook and it starts in the usual way then after a few minutes the connection drops. He can occasionally send short emails before the connection is lost otherwise they go into drafts and sit there as the connection never lasts long enough to send them.

He can access the internet via his totalise icon with no problems.

does that make sense?

vinnyT 11:53 24 Mar 06

What may be happening is the the 'idle time between hanging up' is too short, ie. in his case 1-2 minutes.

In XP, go to;

-Control panel
-Network connections
-Chose the dial up connection he uses, right click
-Properties
-Options
-redialing options-Idle time before hanging up, and select whatever he likes from the drop down choices (range from 'Never' to '24 hours'.
-OK

Hope this helps.

Minxster 19:10 24 Mar 06

Will pass on the info

thanks

Daveboy 13:45 25 Mar 06

If the connection is not staying up for long check this out:
1. In O/E go to tools-OPTIONS
On the GENERAL tab there is a tick box - Send & recieve messages at startup - remove tick (send and receive when you hit the button !)
2. On the CONNECTION tab - Another tick box -
Hang up After sending and recieving - take tick out !
The messages in DRAFTS are still under construction, clicking send puts them into the OUTBOX.

Minxster 14:02 26 Mar 06

Thanks for your help chaps we have tried the above and can now send emails but there appears to be a problem with receiving. Thankfully the connection stays online now which is good. Do you think there would be any benefit in changing to Mircosoft Outlook rather than Outlook Express?

Minxster 19:25 27 Mar 06

Sending emails fine but of course the connection stops once sent and therefore no emails can be received. Tried putting the tick back as per Daveboy and it drops the connection again. Anymore thoughts anyone?

watchful 20:49 27 Mar 06

I use Outlook Express and in my options General tab, the Send & Receive at start-up box is ticked. No problems when I used dial-up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5