outlook express

menorcarob2 13:30 05 Feb 05

i have reinstall xp over the top of the original installation, but i have lost all of my outlook express ,mail settings, contacts, and messages, where are they stored, and how do i bring them back into the program. i did not format my hard drive. thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:09 05 Feb 05

They may have beenovewritten during the new install, below is how to back up.

Search your old computer for files ending .dbx. These are your emails. There should be Inbox.dbx, Outbox.dbx, Drafts.dbx etc. There must also be Folders.dbx, this is the data telling OE how the emails are compressed.

Save all these dbx files, then you can either import them into OE on your new computer, or overwrite the files of the same name in the new computer. Look for a file called (name).wab, this is your address book, and a folder called Favorites. Save these and either import or overwrite to transfer them.

menorcarob2 14:35 05 Feb 05

seached the hard drive and it does not find any files at all with the .dbx extension, any other ideas would be appricated. thanks

bretsky 15:06 05 Feb 05

I have XP 2001 home ed sp1, and when I had to do a reinstall ages ago, I lost everything because unlike some M/S operating systems where data is left in tact, xp overwrites everything, so unless you backed up your data including OE you will have, as Fruit Bat /\0/\ rightly pointed out, wiped it all......... lessons learned!

I use this
click here It's not free but very easy to use.

bretsky;0)

FelixTCat 15:07 05 Feb 05

If you installed the new version of XP over the old one, then a new copy of Outlook Express was installed over the old one. This will have deleted all your old files. Presumably you have no back-ups?

If you are very lucky, you might be able to find something in <system drive> - Documents and Settings - <User Name> - Application Data - Microsoft - Address Book, but if you used the same user name as before, it may all be overwritten.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…