Outlook Express

Anniemol 17:50 11 Nov 04

I have a desktop PC connected to broadband and a laptop that has Wi-Fi to connect to the internet through the desktop PC. My desktop PC is my main PC and I have Outlook Express (NTL World) set up for all my emails...
I have now got to the stage where I'd like to also access my emails via Outlook Express on my laptop. Setting up the account with Outlook Express on my laptop is no problem....what I don't want to happen though is to recieve my emails on my laptop and not beable to get them on my desktop PC...if that makes sense!
I know there's a way of doing this and would appreciate any advice.....many thanks

beeuuem 19:40 11 Nov 04

From OE Help

To store messages on an e-mail server

Storing messages on a server is useful if you need to read e-mail from more than one computer. When you log on to your account from a different computer, Outlook Express downloads messages according to the options you have set. You can store messages on a POP3 server. If you have HTTP e-mail, or IMAP e-mail, your messages are always kept on the server.

On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
Click the e-mail account, and then click Properties.
Click the Advanced tab, and then select Leave a copy of messages on server.

dez fowler 19:41 11 Nov 04

The option you want is "Leave a copy on the server" which is on the Advanced tab of the Account properites dialog box.

Anniemol 19:49 11 Nov 04

Thanks both for your advice...do I need to choose this option on Outlook Express on both the Desktop PC and Laptop...I know probably a stupid question!

beeuuem 20:28 11 Nov 04

That depends on what you want. If you keep the mail on the server from both systems then it will take up your storage unless you manually go to the server and delete read mail periodically.
From what you said initially, it would seem that you should leave the mail on the server when you read mail from your laptop (change the settings) and allow your desktop to continue to remove the mail from the server.

Anniemol 20:32 11 Nov 04

Excellent...will set it up that way. Many thanks for taking the time to help!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…