Outlook Express

wingfield 22:00 29 May 04

I've installed Windows XP Pro over my existing Windows 2000. All is ok except I've lost my e-mails and addresses from Outlook Express. Are they saved somewhere or have I lost them?

VoG II 22:07 29 May 04

Did you format during the installation (mail lost) or do an "upgrade" installation (mail possibly recoverable)?

wingfield 22:45 29 May 04

It was an upgrade

VoG II 22:49 29 May 04

Do searches for *.wab (address book) and *.dbx (mail folders). If you can find them you should be able to import them into your new OE (check to see if you can find them first).

wingfield 00:31 30 May 04

I did that and found the locations but how do I import them?

VoG II 00:33 30 May 04

File/Import and follow the wizard

wingfield 01:16 30 May 04

I don't seem to have file/Import on the drop down File menu. Only 'send to'. I've tried doing this with the files located in the search list and also in the actual folder they are stored in but no use. I'll have another go in the afternoon.
Cheers for you help - if there is anything else I can try be grateful. They seem to be there but getting the buggers back into Express is not going to be easy!

Stuartli 08:27 30 May 04

Some KB help:

click here;en-us;313055&Product=oex

Stuartli 08:38 30 May 04

Sorry about that..:-(

Key 313055 into the microsoft.com Knowledge Base search engine.

It explains the difference between XP and earlier versions' folders etc. and what to do.

wingfield 09:40 30 May 04

Cheers Stuartli - that was a great help and worked. You've saved my bacon.
Thanks VoG - I can now see where the file/Import came into play.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…