Outlook Express

Les 14:17 28 Sep 03

Here we are again - my neighbour is in trouble and has aked for my help - in turn I resort to asking more knowledgable and helpful people for as usual, I haven't a clue!

First, he had some trouble which lost him his Micxrosoft OUTLOOK files - it just said that some files were missing.

I'm trying to set up Outlook Express for him and, armed with the details of my setup of OE I had a look at his. To my surprise, OE already contained an account - tried it - it didn't work. Clicked on Accounts and Properties and found that, unlike my own it contained doubtful entries:-

Incoming Mail (POP3) - POP3
OutGoing Mail (SMTP) - SMTP

mine were set at Mail:BTInternet

He has an account with Freeserve:

Any idea what should be entered?

As always, help would be greatly appreciated.

Les

pepe 14:21 28 Sep 03

Who is his ISP?

MAJ 14:41 28 Sep 03

His settings should be:

Incoming mail: pop.freeseerve.com

Outgoing mail: smtp.freeserve.com

To set it up go to OE > Tools > Accounts > Mail tab, click the Add button > Mail and follow the Wizard.

Les 15:27 28 Sep 03

I have entered the details as you say. I have entered a password carefully noting the case, ticked the box for it to be remembered. All appears to have been entered correctly - yet! When I try to get the mail a box comes up asking for the password to be entered again - this happens every time I try to access the mail.

I've entered, removed and then rentered the details again and again - always with the same result - frustrating is not the word! It simply does not appear to make sense!

You would think that removing the account and starting over again would have done the job - but, apparently, it doesn't.

Anyone had this experience.

Les

BurrWalnut 15:53 28 Sep 03

You say you have entered A PASSWORD, you should have entered HIS PASSWORD.

Megatyte 16:06 28 Sep 03

When was the Freeserve dial-up account last accessed? If you don't use Freeserve to access the net at least once within a certain period(90 days I think)then they suspend your e-mail account. It can be re-activated on the Freeserve site.

AH

Les 16:41 28 Sep 03

The account was originally made by the maker of the computer ( a DIY techie) and he set up both Dialler, Outlook and, it appears Outlook Express. My neighbour was using Outlook, successfully, for some 7 or 8 months until something went wrong and it complained that cewrtain files were missing.

I had a look at Outlook Express with a view of him using this to access his emails - I found that an attempt had already been made to do this and it had been set up incorrectly. Following MAJ's advice I reset it and entered a password suggested by my neighbour - this, you would think would work - except it doesn't - the password was rejected. I have cleared the accounts and then entered it afresh - several times to no avail.

I'm wondering if the original assembler (who made the original settings) used the same password as he used in the dialler (and the user isn't aware of what that is!) all we know is that it is a 16 character password.

I hate to admit defeat but it's got me!

I'm looking for information on OUTLOOK now, such as file extensions used for the various files it stores setups in - the missing ones. My neighbour says that he did nothing to the files which leaves me wondering about a possible virus being delivered in an email previously received - he hasn't got a Virus program - despite being told to get one - is it possible for a virus to remove files or reference to them?

Some 20 days have elapsed since this problem arose.

Les

DieSse 17:02 28 Sep 03

It's possible it's the same password as in the dialer - to find out what that is try here click here

You MUST use the actual password that the ISP knows - you can't just invent one, except the first time you set an account up, and you tell the ISP what you will be using.

If the email password is different to the dialer password, than the ISP may tell you what it is providing your friend can identify themself correctly to the ISP when asked.

Les 18:17 28 Sep 03

Thanks very much, this should help.

I won't be able to try it till Monday at least.

quote 'You MUST use the actual password that the ISP knows - you can't just invent one, except the first time you set an account up, and you tell the ISP what you will be using. '

Is there a clue there? You say 'the first time' - I repeat that I removed the accounts before entering it again - could it be that the original account setting's details remained somewhere?

Les

DieSse 21:20 28 Sep 03

"I repeat that I removed the accounts before entering it again - could it be that the original account setting's details remained somewhere"

Yes - with the ISP - they have course have to know what your password is - it's set to what was chosen when the account was set up with them. You can't change it unilaterally.

MAJ 21:27 28 Sep 03

or even uni-literally. :-))

I'll get me coat.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…