Outlook Explorer - refusing to load sometimes

johndrew 11:36 16 Jun 06

Hello people,

I posted for help on this problem click here a short while ago and received good advice and help in resolving it - even though I did use Acronis and lost some messages.

Today I received the same message again (`Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be loaded`) and went through the suggestions made but with no result. Additionally I could not find OE or Internet Explorer in Add/Remove Programs they only appeared in Add/Remove Windows Components Wizard. The opening of the .dbx folder and ensuring the files were all cleared in `Read Only` had no effect. I have compressed all messages as recommended in the MS knowledge base.

I checked the function of IE and it was fine so only OE was affected.

I restarted the PC and OE functioned as advertised.

Am I missing a trick here or is OE sometimes a bit flaky on startup?

Any help welcome and thanks in anticipation.

brundle 13:52 16 Jun 06

Another potential fix here; click here
Otherwise switch to Thunderbird which is better/safer all round click here

johndrew 16:14 16 Jun 06

I looked at your link but it seems to be addressing Win98 & OE5, I`m on XP SP2 &OE6 (I should have said).

Having said that, all that apply are good and as I say it doesn`t happen every time - only occassionally. I feel (right or wrong) that it has something to do with the boot order but I have no idea what or how to find out.

As for Thunderbird, I did try it when I installed Firefox but we didn`t get on!!

Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone could hit the nail.

VoG II 16:30 16 Jun 06

Have a look at this click here

johndrew 17:02 16 Jun 06

I did all the first part (two paragraph actions) to ensure OE is OK earlier and as I said it appears to be a random event. If it happens again I can try removing the .dbx files etc.

At the moment it is fine but, as with this morning and previously it would not start and gave the `MSOE.DLL` message.

Previously it failed to start even after a reboot but today I rebooted and it was fine. I have shut down and started a few times since with no repetition of the event. It`s a weird thing to happen and appears to me to be something to do with the boot order or possibly a conflict that occurs randomly.

Unless of course the actions I took earlier cured some damage that was present?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…