Outlook email set up

MC Jones 17:47 20 Jan 07

I tried to set up few times an account with Microsoft Outlook and it gives me different errors. The settings are ok but there are two instances in which I fail: One is when I mark the box "Log on using Secure pasword authentication" it gives me the error your email server rejected your login with secure pasword authentication, and when I clear the box, a window pops up asking me to put the name and password, but every time I click ok after few second the window pops up again, four, five..ten times until I cancel it. I deleted the account I set it up again and the same problem come again and again. My ISP said to me when I first created the account to check the box log on using secure pasword authentication, i checked it and worked ok for one day. After that day everything went mad. When I test the account setting everything is checked with green except log on to incoming mail server POP3. Thank you in advance for giving me some clues about how I can sort out this problem. MC Jones.

STREETWORK 18:14 20 Jan 07

Try creating a new account with the wizard, if this works delete the old one.

MC Jones 18:25 20 Jan 07

How, Streetwork?

Forum Editor 18:39 20 Jan 07

your ISP told you to tick the box for 'logon with secure password authentication (SPA)' because you shouldn't need to do it.

I'm wondering if there's some confusion here with the requirement that most ISPs now have that you login to their SMTP servers. It used to be the case that you only needed to submit a username and password to access your POP3 (inbound) mailbox. You could use the (outbound) SMTP server without any authentication. The rise in spam mail sendings has made most ISPs demand a login to the SMTP servers nowadays, so they can track spam senders more easily, and that may be what you're talking about.

Check with your ISP and post back here if that's the case, and one of us will help you through the settings - I'm rushing to a meeting right now, and I'm a bit pushed for time.

MC Jones 18:44 20 Jan 07

Thank you. I've sorted it! The name and password in the set up were not the same with the name and password the ISP gave me. i did't know they had to be the same!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced