Outlook - Contacts

Cook2 00:22 22 Feb 04

My old hard drive has virtually died a death since one of my dogs came into contact with the case, at a great rate of knots, when the drive was spinning and it has evidently been 'pinged'. (The drive not the dog, although I was tempted).

I have set everything up on my new hard drive and managed to 'drag and drop' some pics and videos etc from the old one but can't find where my Outlook - Contacts are hiding.

Could someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks.

Forum Editor 00:40 22 Feb 04

and the best way to find it is to run a search for:

contacts.pst

Cook2 00:45 22 Feb 04

No luck there so maybe it's been lost.

Now I know where to look I'll make sure I search for the file when I build up a new Contacts list and back it up. Thanks for the tip.

Cook2 00:51 22 Feb 04

Yep, looks like it's lost.

A thorough search came up with a DAT file, two GIF image and an Icon.

PanMan 09:44 22 Feb 04

I am not the expert I look into these forums for help but I thought the contact files were part of Windows Address Book and are designated as *.WAB files? They are in Windows ME that I use. Try a search for those and see what you can find.

Megatyte 10:00 22 Feb 04

WAB files (Windows Address Book) are for Outlook Express. Microsoft Outlook uses PST.

AH

Brian-336451 10:04 22 Feb 04

Note the info provided by ßéLâ, it's correct.

If you use Outlook, then Contacts are contained within the Outlook.pst file.

Simple

PanMan 11:46 22 Feb 04

You are right. I use Outlook to create and maintain my contacts and had assumed that because I also see the same information in Windows Address Book and Outlook Express they were all using the same file. But if I attempt to use the Export function of Address Book while I have the Outlook data displayed the function is greyed out. I assume there is a setting somewhere that allows AB & OE to share the information and that maybe I have set it in the past but cant find it now.

User-312386 11:51 22 Feb 04

all is not lost, there is a free utlitly called OE Backup 2.9 (free Outlook Express Backup tool)click here which backs up all your address and mail

i was told about this link by Boris in another forum

Cook2 15:51 22 Feb 04

Success! Thanks everyone, I now have all my e-mail addresses back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…