Outlook Blocks .pif Files

Marios 19:10 05 Mar 04

Outlook blocks .pif files. Can anyone please let me know what format it is, what it contains, e.g. pictures or text and how i can unblock it.
Thanks for your time and effort,
Marios

cycoze 19:31 05 Mar 04

Pif - A Program Information File dates back to the early versions of Windows. Basically, it's an information file that when you click on it the information in the file is used by Windows to run some program; including code that can be in the PIF file. It is a potentially dangerous file type and one should never click on one received via E-mail without extensive knowledge of exactly what it will do first.

Taken from click here , worth noting that recent virus Netsky D usually has attachment with a .pif file extension .

Sir Radfordin 19:33 05 Mar 04

It is more than likely going to be a good thing - I've only ever come accross pif files when they are attached to virus infected emails.

The Ghost of Inept Pig 19:34 05 Mar 04

To make Outlook allow you to access the file - go to Tools -> Optioms -> Security and untick 'Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus'

Jester2K 19:45 05 Mar 04

Agree with Sir Radfordin - almost certainly a virus.

What does the text of the e-mail say?

Marios 22:59 05 Mar 04

Hi all and thanks for your time. AVG certifies these emails as clean from viruses but outlook Blocks them.
Marios

cycoze 23:22 05 Mar 04

Have a read of this to understand why Outlook blocks them click here .

Quote"To avoid infection, you should block harmful attachments at your Internet mail gateways. For this worm, block all attachments with the .pif extension. (The extension may be truncated to .pi in some instances.) Additionally, you should use the features in the latest versions of Outlook and Outlook Express to block harmful attachments.

For Outlook 2000 and Outlook XP

Outlook 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3) and later and Outlook XP SP1 include the most recent updates to improve the security in Outlook and other Microsoft Office System programs. This includes a feature that blocks potentially harmful attachment types. If you are running either of these versions, they will by default block the attachment, and you will be unable to open it." End Quote .

If the attachments are coming from someone you know i would ask them to either send in a different format , or , zip them before sending , also i believe there is a registry hack to get around this , however i wouldnt go down that route as it could let in all manner of nasties .

Whats is a pif file , PIF = Macintosh : Compressed file archive.

PIF = OS/2 : Graphics metafile.

PIF = Vector image GDF format (IBM mainframe computers).

PIF = Windows Program Information File for dos prgs.

As Sir Radfordin and Jester2K have said it is probably a virus , unless like i have said you were expecting it , which i assume you were not , as you would have probably known what they contained .

byfordr 23:25 05 Mar 04

Lot of 30k emails with PIF attachments floating around, almost certainly a virus

R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017