Outlook Backup Tool Error Message

roger 17:44 14 Sep 04

I need to backup all my Personal Folders in Outlook 2003 (email main and sub folders, Contact and Calender.

I successfully downloaded and installed the MS Personal Outlook Folders Backup Tool and go through the procedures as instructed but when I close down Outlook as required for the backup to start I get this message "Cannot Copy Outlook. The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file"

I thought it might have been my ADSL or NIS or Winfax Pro so I closed all of these down but to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas?

All suggestions will be very greatfully received.

SANTOS7 17:51 14 Sep 04

Fuond this,hope it helps.

When trying to copy Outlook storage file (*.pst files) when Outlook is running you'll see "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" error message in your Backup Magic log file. That means Outlook has exclusively locked the file and it can't be read or copied by other programs until you close Outlook.

Solution is to exit Outlook before starting backup. If, after exiting Outlook, you still encounter the problem, some other programs, components or services may still use Outlook on the background. You need to close them to get full access to the files you want to copy.

The following Microsoft knowledge base articles may provide some help:

196366: Why Outlook May Continue to Run After Exit
click here

221201: Outlook Will Not Shut Down with WinFax Pro Installed
click here

Jeffers22 17:53 14 Sep 04

Do a search for outlook.pst This is the file you need to backup. Try to copy it to another location. If you get the same message, then something is not letting go of the file and you've got to do some detective work. For instance - MSOffice toolbar? dunno, but may have an effect. Check in Startup folder and also under the startup tab of MSconfig. remove/untick anything relating to MS Office or Outlook, reboot and try the backup proggy again.

roger 18:52 14 Sep 04

Thanks for that Santos. However, as far as I can tell, it is only possible to access the Backup add-in tool from within Outlook. Ihave also disabled most of my running progs and that has not worked.

I am now away to try Jeffers suggestion. Will report back!

Jeffers22 19:11 14 Sep 04

Re the Outlook back up tool: It puts a shortcut to it on the desktop (at least I have one) to allow you to back up the pst file without starting Outlook. As a work around, if nothing else works, it might be worth trying the backup immediately after booting, i.e. before you start Outlook and see if that makes a difference.

roger 21:45 14 Sep 04

Thanks for the further thoughts Jeffers. have not yet found Outlook.pst but it will be there, I know. I do not have a shortcut to the desktop but I will try to create one. I will report back tomorrow!

roger 18:40 17 Sep 04

Back again. Found the Outlook.pst so I can copy that I suppose to cd. As far as I know it contains the contact file so I do not need to copy that.

Have not been able to put the backup tool shortcut onto the desktop. Does anyone have any ideas on either probs please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…