Outlook - abnormal program termination

Micken 18:56 14 Apr 04

After having problems with Outlook 2002 I have been able to reinstall Outlook 2000. I was running Plaxo, a contacts/address updating service, within Outlook 2000. This told me that Outlook had not shut down correctly on the last 5 occasions, although there had been no other indications of this happening. It gave me the option to disable Plaxo, which I did.

On running Outlook again I now get the following Runtime Error

"C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE

abnormal programme termination"

This was followed by another message

"DDE Server window at "0x62032adc" referenced memory at "0x02e83aa0". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program."

I am researching this on the MS website but, as yet, no clues.

So, any ideas?

Micken 19:43 14 Apr 04

Any ideas folks?

VoG II 19:49 14 Apr 04

Detect and Repair from the Help menu?

Micken 19:59 14 Apr 04

Thanks for your reply. I have tried this once already but I suppose that there's no harm in trying a second time.

VoG II 20:02 14 Apr 04

Another thought- there might be a missing or damaged add-in. I can't remember if the following instructions (from Outlook 2003 Help) apply to 2000 but should be similar.

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Other tab.

Click Advanced Options, and then click COM Add-Ins.

Do any of the following:

To disable an add-in, clear the check box next to the add-in.

To remove an add-in, clear the check box next to the add-in you want to remove, and then click Remove.

Micken 20:58 14 Apr 04

Thanks for that help I could not remove the Plaxo add-in, when I tried Outlook closed down giving me the same runtime error as at the start of the thread. I removed all Plaxo software from the system and then used your help again, this time with success. After a re-boot it appears that Outlook is now opening and closing without generating any error messages.

I still need to check Outlook syching properly with my PDA and then if everything looks as though it's running smoothly I will check this thread as resolved.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Micken 22:08 14 Apr 04

Looks like it was Plaxo after all. I have informed them and will hopefully get a reply. I'm sure that there must be a solution where I can have their software running.

Thanks once again to VoG for the helpful comments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…