Outlook - able to receive but cannot send mail

mikey1965 13:14 29 Jan 03

Help! I able to receive mail through my outlook mail account but am unable to send. Is there anything i can do (change settings etc)to easily remidy this problem? any advice would be gratefully received.

stlucia 13:25 29 Jan 03

So, what are the symptoms? Have you got email in our Outbox which doesn't go when you click on the Send/Receive pushbutton?

If so, you've probably got the Send/Receive pushbutton configured to receive only.

mikey1965 13:28 29 Jan 03

Thanks stlucia, any details with regarding how i might re-configure the "send/receive" button?

woodchip 13:34 29 Jan 03

You must not have got your account setting right for you ISP on send, it may be "user or password"

stlucia 13:37 29 Jan 03

Sorry, I'm not at my own PC at the moment -- I'll have to get back to you tomorrow.

In the meantime someone else may be able to tell you ... it's probably under Options or Preferences or something like that.

johnem 13:39 29 Jan 03

mikey1965, Presumably you are using MS Outlook or is it Outlook Express? Make sure that your outgoing SMTP setting in the servers tab is correctly set to the ISP that you are using.

Also make sure that you have typed in the correct account name and password, as sometimes Outlook will set up a default account name. This is very helpful, not!!

Also, if you have Norton Antivirus and it is set to scan outgoing mail, this sometimes slows the process down enough for your server to reply with a timeout indication.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5