Outlook 2010 with Windows 7

bpzoom 10:35 11 Jun 14
Answered

I deleted my wife's BT internet email account because of problems with it, and created a new account. This has appeared as an Imap instead of the POP3 which the original one was. I don't understand the difference between the two but I am now getting a frequent message saying her Imap server has closed the connection. These are the details: IMAP4rev1 Server logging out Protocol: IMAP Server: mail.btinternet.com Port: 993 Error Code: 0x800CCCDD

I can't seem to be able to change her account to POP3, IMAP is greyed out in the account details. She also has a Tablet on which she accesses the internet and her emails. Does it matter if it is Imap or Pop3? We do not travel or use other computers. If I should keep Imap then how do I stop this "Imap server has closed the connection" display? Finally on the new account a Bulk mail box has appeared which was never on the Pop 3 account. ADvice would be appreciated

Woolwell 10:50 11 Jun 14

IMAP emails always reside on the server and can be downloaded to any email client. This is really useful if you are using more than one device to read your emails as you can read them, including the sent ones, on any device eg smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop. Difference between ipam and pop.

Your error problem may relate to incorrect settings. Using pop settings instead of imap. Don;t know if this will help BT Community

Woolwell 10:51 11 Jun 14

imap email accounts create their own separate folders in Outlook.

bpzoom 07:40 12 Jun 14

BT India said my settings are all correct. They sent a test email to my wife's account and it came through OK. No other emails are appearing though. Everytime I start Outlook 2010, an immediate display appears "Your Imap server has closed the connection". BT India said this should not prevent emails from being received! They had no explanation for the display.

Woolwell 10:08 12 Jun 14

Two possible solutions: Bluehost server times and Outlook forums server times

But as BT have stated this should not stop emails being received. If the test email was received ok then there is no real reason why the other emails do not arrive. Can you check webmail and see if there are emails waiting to be received?

bpzoom 15:00 12 Jun 14

Thank you, I know this might sound ignorant, but what do you mean by check webmail and see if there are emails waiting to be received? She has a btinternet.com address. What is webmail?

Woolwell 16:17 12 Jun 14
Answer

Webmail is when you view emails through your browser. I don't use BT but you should be able to log in to your email through their site using your password. The email appears to be top right of BT Internet

bpzoom 14:13 15 Jun 14

Thank you, I knew I could get to my emails that way but did not think to go there for my wife's! The Imap display still occurs occasionally, but as the emails are now coming through anyway I can live with that.

Woolwell 17:49 15 Jun 14

Seems to be sorted. Thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…