Outlook 2010 "General Failure" message.

Yimbo 17:56 21 Aug 14
Answered

I know I've posted recently on this, and I'm grateful for all the help and advice I've been given. But - - I'm absolutely stumped - frustrated and baffled. Each time I click on a link in an email in Outlook 2010 the message appears: "General Failure: The URL was (details given). The specified procedure could not be found."

I've followed all the advice offered, and I even had a MS certified "expert" look at my computer yesterday, but to no avail. The problem persists - which means that my email facilities are useless.

My plea is that hopefully someone has encountered this issue, (which as far as I can gather seems not all that uncommon), and who can provide me with the fix.

I'm at a total loss!

BRYNIT 18:40 21 Aug 14

Just a thought could your antivirus program be blocking the hyperlinks or the browser you are using. You could look at CLICK HERE or CLICK HERE If you do a search for "Outlook 2010 email hyperlinks not working" will give you more possible solutions.

Yimbo 23:37 21 Aug 14

Thanks BRYNIT - - You've given me a lot to search through - and some much needed hope! Surely the answer is in there somewhere!

I'll work though your advice, and see what happens. Thanks again!

Woolwell 10:28 22 Aug 14

Did you make a different browser the default one?

Yimbo 15:26 22 Aug 14

Yes, Woolwell, I tried to install Chrome, but it wouldn't do so. I have a "ChromeSet-up" folder but trying to open it gets me nowhere!

Sorry to have got you involved in this again!

Woolwell 15:54 22 Aug 14

Try Firefox.

Yimbo 11:33 23 Aug 14

Thanks Woolwell - - As with Chrome, can't get Firefox to install!

Woolwell 12:14 23 Aug 14

There is something fundamentally wrong. For Chrome Chrome download here and it should have installed without any snag.

I think that I may have to leave it to others but a W8 refresh may be called for.

1]: [click here

Yimbo 14:32 23 Aug 14
Answer

Woolwell - - Tried once again to download Chrome - using your link. I get as far as "on your marks" - then nothing! I'm sure you're right: "There is something fundamentally wrong." But what? Who knows???

You must be as fed up with all this as I am! How patient you are!

Yimbo 13:07 04 Sep 14

Don't know what caused it all - but a re-install of 8.1 seems to have sorted I out!

Thank you all for our help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant