Outlook 2003 won't reopen

Skippy88 20:34 08 Nov 04

I have recently upgraded to Office Pro 2003. My problem is that Outlook will only open once. If I close Outlook I can't reopen it without rebooting the PC.

I can see the icon in the notification area by the clock but when I try to right click this I get nothing. Double clicking it gets a pop up balloon saying "Outlook is not responding. If you are using an Exchange Server e-mail account you can cancel pending server requests by clicking Outlook icon in the notifications area and then clicking Cancel Server Request on the shortcut menu"

Any help???

VoG II 20:36 08 Nov 04

Try Detect and Repair on the Help menu.

Skippy88 18:48 09 Nov 04

Thanks for the suggestion VoG but I've already tried that and it still won't reopen once closed.

Skippy88 23:40 11 Nov 04

For the benefit of anyone else that might have the same problem, I found out how to fix this!

Uninstall WinFax Pro. A lengthy process with instructions to do manual uninstall from Symantec's website because Add Remove Programs wouldn't do it.

Not sure what the conflict was between WinFax and Outlook 2003 but its working now :-)))

anchor 13:11 12 Nov 04

I have Outlook 2003 and Winfax Pro 10 installed on the same PC. Had some problems; went to the Symantec site and did a search. It seems that they are aware of this problem with Outlook-XP, and suggest the following remedy: (which also applies to Outlook 2003).

How to disable WinFax 10.02 and Outlook integration.

NOTE: First, close Outlook

Disable Outlook Integration in WinFax Message Manager Open WinFax Message Manager.
Click Tools, and then click Program Setup.
Double-click Email and Outlook Integration.
Uncheck Enable sending faxes by email.
Click OK, and then click Close.
Shut down Message Manager and Controller, then restart.

Rename Outlook\WinFax Integration Files, if they exist.

Exit all open programs and stop the WinFax PRO service if you are running Windows NT, Windows 2000, or Windows XP.

Click Start, point to Find, and click Files or Folders. The Find dialog box appears.
From the Look In drop-down list, select the drive on which you installed WinFax PRO.
Check Include subfolders (if not already checked.)

In the Named field, type Wfxext.dll and click Find Now. Windows displays all files matching the search criteria.
Select the found file, click File, then click Rename.
Rename the file to Wfxext.old and click OK. The file will be renamed.
Repeat these steps for the following files as well. (Rename the extensions to .old):

Dccmsp32.dll
Dccwfp32.dll
Wfoladin.dll

Restart the system, and test.

anchor 13:13 12 Nov 04

Forgot to add; all working fine now, and has done for about 1 year.

Flat Face 16:56 20 Mar 05

Dear Anchor,
Thank you for your idea.
The instructions given by you certainly allow me to open and shut both Outlook 2003 and Winfax 10.0, except that the first time after shutting Outlook 2003 I get an error message which reads: -

Microsoft Office Ou…..
The operation failed
OK

If the OK button is pressed, then Outlook will open at the next attempt.

Clearly there is still some gremlin in the system.

Do you or someone else have any ideas, how to get rid of it, please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5