Outlook 2003 - Sending Links and Shortcuts

see_em_ess 11:56 08 May 06

I'm attempting to do something which seems fairly straight forward, but I'm progressing at a speed which resembles wading through treacle. So I shall call on the expertise of the cleverest people I know and see if you are able to come up with a simple answer for me.

All I am trying to do is get Outlook 2003 to allow users to send and then open a link to a shared local network file direct from an e-mail.

That's it. Nothing else.

BUT . . . . . The only way I can get it to work is by manually typing the full path location, which as we all know isn't something that the average user will do.

If I send a message that contains

\my network\network server\shared drive\shared folders\users folder\users subfolder\some ridiculously long name which really isn't necessary\communications\telephony\phone list.doc>

then the link to the file will send and the recipient can open it and everything is hunky dorey. (As long as I remember to include the and > so that it will allow spaces between words.)

But is there a way that you know, which means that I don't have to manually type in the full path??

I'm trying to reduce the amount of network traffic and unless I can make it easy then no-one will bother using links and shortcuts.

Even if you persuade all users to send in HTML format, so that they have the option to INSERT - HYPERLINK, this doesn't give them an option to Browse for a file, they still have to manually type the full path.

Different users have different drives mapped to specific letters, so even (so called) logical addressing wouldn't work.

I preferred the good old days when you could just send a .lnk file and Outlook didn't block it.

If you are able to come up with a simple solution for this then you will truly be the Techno-God that should be worshipped by all.

Yours Grovellingly
Craig

VoG II 12:06 08 May 06

Unblock .lnk files click here and send .lnk attachment.

see_em_ess 12:27 08 May 06

I cannot believe I was so stupid!!

Just from the Insert File dialogue, select Insert As Hyperlink.

That's It.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to look at this, next time I post I'll try and make it something more difficult.

Craig

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017