An Outlook 2003 query:

bennyhillslovechild 16:47 06 Mar 07

I have Outlook 2003 installed on my machine as part of the office package, and probably don't use it to any great extent (I don't have that many friends to email!) but I do use it to sync with the Contacts and Calendar in my mobile phone (Nokia N80). My question is this: My dad has asked me to create a mailing list of some of his customers for him who have signed up either in store or on-line for an occasional newsletter. To this end he has generously given me several sheets of A4 with email addresses scrawled on them to add to contacts.
Can I create a separate contact list for these which I then export to his machine? I have no problem with sitting here for a couple of hours adding the email addresses, but I really don't fancy suddenly having a few hundred more contacts on my outlook or mobile phone. Can you create a separate, exportable mailing list type thing? Or am I going to have to put up with half the pensioners in North Norfolk appearing on my mobile? - who knows, I may even get lucky! :)

Taff™ 07:59 07 Mar 07

Yes you can do that. Simply select your contacts folder and then go to File>New>Folder - Call it something appropriate. Once you have completed the exercise you select the file and go to File>Import & Export and select the export option to save that folder to a new PST file. I suspect this will only work if your Dad has Office 2003 but there are other file format options to choose from such as CSV (Comma Delimited) which older versions of outlook can import from.

Personally I would simply use Excel to create a database of names and e-mail addresses. From that I would use Word to create the mailshot and merge the data directly to e-mails. This creates individual e-mails without the need to send the newsletter as an attachment to Distribution Groups. Be very careful if you do send it as an attachment that you put the distribution lists into the Blind Carbon Copy (BCC)field. Your Dads customers might be pretty annoyed if they can see all his other customers and it would only take one of them to forward an e-mail to one of his competitors for them to know who all his customers are - pretty angry Dad!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…