Outlook 2003 mail goes into Outlook Express Inbox

SB101 23:28 30 Jun 06

Hi Folks, I'm hoping someone can help me with the following Outlook 2003 problem. Here goes:

I have just installed Outlook 2003 on my machine. I have been using Outlook Express 6 to manage my NTL E mail account. Basically, I want to start using Outlook 2003 and eventually want get rid of Outlook Express once I have got to grips with Outlook 2003.

The problem is that Outlook 2003 sends E mails out fine. However any E mails addressed to my NTL E mail address goes into the Outlook Express Inbox and nothing arrives in the Outlook 2003 Inbox. Even the test E mail which is generated by Outlook 2003 goes into the Outlook Express Inbox. I've set up Outlook 2003 as the default account for my NTL Email account. If I remove the NTL Account from Outlook Express I still don't receive any E mails in Outlook 2003. I just don't receive any E mails.

I basically want all the E mails that have been sent to the NTL E mail address to go into Outlook 2003 Inbox where I can read them.

I hope the above makes senses. Any help will be greatly appreciated as I don't know what else I can try.

DieSse 00:29 01 Jul 06

Emails will get picked up by whichever correctly set up program is run first - they don't "go to" anywhere on their own - they're picked up.

So if Outlook is not picking up your emails, you've simply not set it up correctly to pick them up.

Cross check between the two programs how you've set up the server addresses, and your username/password in each program. The OE one is clearly correct - the Outlook one isn't.

Forum Editor 00:42 01 Jul 06

it sounds as if you haven't entered the correct POP3 mailserver details into the Outlook mail account.

As DieSse said, your inbound mail will be collected by whichever mail program polls the mailserver first - and in your case that's currently OE.

Taff™ 07:33 01 Jul 06

Suggestion for you. If you go into the advanced set up for the e-mail account in both Outlook and Outlook Express you can set each account to "Leave a copy of messages on the server" and "Delete after x number of days"

This would allow you to synchronise both programmes with the same e-mails. You will eventually become totally confused however because you won`t be able to tell if you`ve responded to an e-mail from the other programme.

I would suggest you switch to Outlook completely.

SB101 12:19 02 Jul 06

Thanks guys!

After reading the tips I went and checked everything on the settings again on Outlook 2003. The settings on Outlook 2003 & Outlook express look identical. No problems that I can see.

Also Outlook 2003 allows you to import E mail settings from other programs. Hence I imported the Outlook Express settings to Outlook 2003. Outlook 2003 states that the import was 100% successful. However, I'm still experiencing the same problem as before. I also tried the suggestion of holding a copy on the server, unfortunately that didn't work either.

It looks Like I'm going to have to continue using Outlook Express unless somebody has any solutions out there.

Forum Editor 12:34 02 Jul 06

I assume that you've closed Outlook Express - it's not running - and still you say that Outlook doesn't receive any inbound mail?

SB101 17:23 02 Jul 06

Yep, I've closed Outlook Express. I suppose the one other I can try is to uninstall Outlook Express. Does anybody know how to uninstall Outlook Express ?

Taff™ 17:56 02 Jul 06

They should both work together. Lets go into Outlook 2003. Tools>email Accounts> View or change e-mail Accounts. Now select the account in question and go to Change. There is a button there that says "Test Account Settings". Press that and post back with the error message.

If there isn`t one do a send receive from Outlook 2003 - you should receive the test e-mail message.

SB101 20:13 02 Jul 06

As suggested I've ran the "Test Account Setting" I get no errors. The test E mail however goes into the Outlook Express inbox and not the Outlook 2003 inbox.

VoG II 20:25 02 Jul 06

How can it go into the Outlook Express Inbox if Outlook Express is not running. That's impossible. Of course, you must have run Outlook Express to check this so it was running.

Have you deleted the account in Outlook Express?

Taff™ 20:34 02 Jul 06

Just a little more probing. When you did the above test and then a send receive you got nothing but opening Outlook Express and sending/Receiving saw the e-mail appear?

If so go back to Outlook 2003 and check under Tools>Send/Receive Settings>Define... that when you select the account under the group heading that there is a tick in "include this account in send/Receive.

Also under Tools>Options and the "Other" tab that the tick ensures Outlook is the default program for handling e-mail.

Finally we go to Help>Detect & Repair.

Try the test account settings after each step!

If all this fails we`ll delete the account and set it up manually. Post back before you start this though!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…