Outlook 2003 hanging

Brian-336451 18:29 31 Mar 04

I've finally bitten the bullet and started to learn Eudora 6 because I'm sick to the eye teeth with Outlook 2003 hanging.

Sometimes it hangs on start up with the initial download of email (from 3 accounts). It then often hangs when trying to respond to an email (interaction problems with MS Word [for Heaven's sake]).

Is this the way for the latest iteration of such a well-established application to work.

I am out of the country and using XP Pro on a brand new Centrino notebook, everything else (including Office works beautifully) but Outlook is beyond belief.

Microsoft on their website state: 'This is a problem'. Well that's OK, no mention of a fix. Considering the cost of the suite that's not really good enough is it? Especially as the problems seem to stem from interactivity between MS's own applications.

Anyone else having problems? (Well actually I'm not now, Eudora is stable and reliable which is SO refreshing).

spikeychris 18:44 31 Mar 04

NTBM, I'll have to say the opposite, works like a dream for me absolutely no problems. Whats the interaction problems with Word?

VoG II 18:59 31 Mar 04

No problems here either.

Sir Radfordin 19:18 31 Mar 04

Do you get any error codes in the event log that relate to the problems you are having?

Brian-336451 07:15 01 Apr 04

I went to the MS Knowledge Base first and must confess not to looking at the event log (I was only told about that and it's codes a few days ago).

The relevant question is: click here;en-us;278214

Seems I was in the minority, however that describes the problem beautifully - and offers no help.

Not good enough considering the costs, makes me regret leaving Outlook 2000 which was (at least) robust.

Eudora, however 'does what it says on the can' to coin a phrase.

Thanks for the responses.

Sir Radfordin 09:14 01 Apr 04

Is there a link between this problem and the editor you use for Emails? If you have set it to use Word (from in Outlook) then try changing or vice versa.

Brian-336451 12:03 01 Apr 04

It states in one of the MS statements that Outlook 2003 is the first one to default to Word as the preferred text editor.

For me, therein lies the problem (somehow unknown to me or [judging by their response] Microsoft as well).

Just saying 'It is a problem' and putting a fullstop behind the statement is not very helpful.

That said, I'm probably a Eudora convert unless it's just the novelty of being to email send and receive with no hold ups.

I'm off to Riyadh so will be out of touch for a day or so.

Sir Radfordin 12:45 01 Apr 04

Have you tried changing it so that you don't use Word as the editor and you use Outlook? I don't really see any benefits of using Word.

Office 2000 used to have a problem that if you changed the font in an email it would crash on certain PCs. That one was equally annoynig and I never found a fix.

Brian-336451 09:05 02 Apr 04

Must admit by the time I found out that it was interaction with MS's own applications, I was so p*ssed off that I just dumped Outlook.

I bought Eudora last year and had it sat on my Installations partition having not even loaded it. Having read 'rave' reviews I thought that I might as well try it in view of the problems I was having with Outlook.

In reality, by now I wasn't looking for a fix so much as trying to find out if I was alone in the problem and trying to work out why it was happening to MY machine. XPPro/Office 2003 Pro would have been a perfect combination (oh what a simpleton huh?) I thought.

I'm going to set this as Resolved, but obviously it's not as can be seen in Microsoft's own statement. I DO wish that they would qualify the statement with some idea of what they are going to or intend to do about it.

Thanks for the interest shown chaps. Bye from sunny Riyadh!

anchor 09:31 02 Apr 04

I found problems using Word as the default editor. I ditched that, and no problems since.

Enjoy the sunshine; bye from rainy London.

Brian-336451 17:44 02 Apr 04

In view of your comments, I tried Outlook one more time and de-selected Word as the editor.

Still displays the same problem.

One thought however, I do not install my applications to the default locations, I wonder if that might have something to do with it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…