Outlook 2003 dial-up glitch

DennisD 18:27 21 Nov 04

Hello all.

I upgraded from Outlook Express to Outlook yesterday. Everything went fine in the transition (I can send & receive email just fine). But there’s one glitch that I didn’t have with Outlook Express. Now when I open Outlook, it initially dials as it should, then does a quick send/receive. At that point, it then shuts off the internet connection, which I don’t want.

I’ve checked my settings, & under Tools, Options, Mail Setup, I have these two items selected: “Always use existing dial-up connection,” & “Automatically dial during a background send/receive.” I have left unchecked the option to “Hang up when finished with a manual send/receive" for obvious reasons. Now the workaround I’m forced to do is log onto the internet via my shortcut on the desktop, then leave it on while I have Outlook on—that seems to work OK. (With OE, I'd open it, OE dialed automatically, & stayed online so I could browse the web, etc.)

It looks like I have all of the same settings for POP3 email account that I previously did. Do you know of any setting that I’ve forgotten?

I use Outlook at work (with a T1 connection though) & haven’t had any problems like this. Of course, I realize that dial-up may have some special setting that I’ve overlooked. Please advise. I'm hoping some Outlook users with dialup know a solution.

I'm running Office 2003 on a machine with XP SP2, & Norton Antivirus & Firewall 2003. Thanks in advance!
Dennis Divine

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…