Outlook 2000 SR-1: outlook.pst file size

offal 20:40 13 Oct 03

My outlook.pst file used to be about 5Mb in size. I helped a friend transfer his family photo album from an old machine by having them emailed to my machine and then on to his new one. (why?-don't ask !!!) After the successful completion of this task, I duly deleted all his jpegs from my mailbox, but note that the file size has not reduced near its original 5 MB, but remains at over 17.5Megs. Have I not really deleted these files? Can anyone help please?
Thanks.

whybe 21:23 13 Oct 03

I know this may sound daft but have you deleted the files out of the Deleted items folder? Unless set up it doesn't auto delete on exiting Outlook. The other way possibly is to right click on the header Outlook Today and then properties then folder size, to see if that gives you any clues.

pc moron 22:08 13 Oct 03

Empty the Deleted Items and Sent Items folders etc and then do the following:

Goto File>Data File Management and click on the file that your e-mail is delivered to and select Settings, then choose Compact Now.

This will reduce the size of the .pst file.

offal 11:45 17 Oct 03

Thank you both for your responses. I think the file must have previously been compacted unbeknown to me, as the file has compacted to the smaller size. Useful tip about the properties/folder size info too.
regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac